Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can the Message Waiting Light be made to Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirrono

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2002
US
Is it possible to make the Message Waiting Light flash on 6400 and 2420 series phone sets? If so, how do I administer this?

SirRono

Let me guess some manager wants his/her MWL to flash when they have x amount of messages in the box, just like the Queue light on the phone. I'm sorry

Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

look at LED and blink rapidly

The two basic principles of Windows system administration:
For minor problems, reboot
For major problems, reinstall

Phoneman2 hit it and biglebowski wants to see me fired. Yes, the big cheese thinks it would be wonderful if the light blinked when she received messages. No Joy huh!

SirRono

Why not connect the Voice MAil port to a 10,000 volt battery and then to her chair, that way there is no way she can miss any vm.

Avaya, Octel, AUDIX, CMS and other fun stuff.

"There is always a way, it may not be pretty but there is always a way."

&quot;I don't have a technical solution to your management problem.&quot; <PeaveyPhones>

P:-D

I think what we are all saying is that ......NO it will not flash.

Option 3 Tell them its one LONNNNG blink... when you delete or listen to the message it ends the blink..

Sorry

Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

And if that doesn't work, take her digital phone away and replace it with a 2500 set.

delete her voicemail then she'll never have to worry about in flashing or not.

The two basic principles of Windows system administration:
For minor problems, reboot
For major problems, reinstall

If you really want to get tricked out, you can buy a 1mm Blinking LED. Take apart the phone, remove the current LED and solder on the new one. Not sure what the voltage requirements are but it may work. Worth a try if She is high on the ladder. I have actually used the LED's in from a 8410d on other stuff but never visa versa. I have also hooked up the speaker in the phone to the computer speaker input...so when ever you hit the speaker button the call goes through your speakers on your comp...You know the little grey buttons, I have taken those out and spray painted them different colors, ie Red for crisis alert, blue for speed dial to police, orange for speed dial to Fire.

Maybe I should start a phone modding site...hmmm

NX01:

I admire your patient and creativity. The problem is if one big cheese has it and all big cheese would want it. Soon you’ll be soldering a yellow blinking LED for the janitor’s phone because we have to treat everyone equal.

Just say “NO”! Please!

I stayed at a motel that had a system that the message waiting light flashed. So replace the whole phone system to get the flashing light, give a billion $ of options to the big wig, bankrupt the company, sell it to a foreign company that lays off half the staff, and outsource most of the rest of the other jobs to India.
Ahhh, life in corporate America, it don't get much more insane.

What you need to do is to hook up a 6408 handset to the led set on close encounters of the 3rd kind!!!

Try this Corporate-speak on your Management... "Customers and clients would not expect to have to wait for a reply to a voicemail message or they will cease to be customers/clients. Voicemail messages will be automatically deleted after 4 days. If you are on leave, manage your voice mail accordingly by recording a personal message to reflect this."........ Then give 'em a week before you implement!

Fast Freddie.

Is it possible to make the Message Waiting Light flash on 6400 and 2420 series phone sets? If so, how do I administer this?

Answer...

Strip down the phone and have it run around the office!!!!!

Just kidding
(couldn't resist!)

SirRono...Are you still out there??

Sorry for all the venting...but sometimes the high beings just think we can reprogram the phone system for silly things. You had a good question and feel free to ask more. We don't answer all of them tike this.

Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

I got it!!! Put in a web cam that is focused directly on the led of the phone. Write an asp script that will take the web cam output and make it "blink" on a web page. WOW !!! Version 2.0 would give web control to the blink rate! Hey .... what about writing some flash animation .... This could be BIG!!!!!

Me

Ok one more thing a little more serious though, the question is do you have an AUDIX VM System? If so you can set up AUDIX to call her extension when a voice mail is left, you even have it remind her after so many attempts. I think you can dos omething similar in Octel but beats me how, wait I support Octel, oops got to go research now, yikes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back