Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can the backup job name the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvrmaried

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2006
I am new to Backup Exec so I apologize if this question seems silly. Is there a way that the backup job can name the media? An example: A new tape is placed in the tape drive on Monday. When the backup job is run that night, it names the media the job name of "M-Th Differential" before the job runs. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

I have the same question. ARCserve does this, and as a long time AS user, this is one of the hardest things to get accustomed to in BE. I have a hard time trying to figure out what to label my tapes. In AS, I would relabel them after each job, according the label that AS automatically assigned them. I have always used standalone drives, but I can imagine in a library environment, a generic label would work well. But when handling all tapes by hand, having a descriptive label showing the type and date of the job has always made the most sense and seemed 'normal' to me.

I am having trouble adjusting my thinking to conform to BE.
What is a good labling/rotation scheme for doing GFS rotations by hand with a couple standalone drives in Backup Exec?

Thanks

I too am having trouble getting used to BE. I do a Mon thru Thurs. differential with a full each Friday. I do a Friday 1 thru Friday 3, then save Friday 4's. This is what the company calls for. This is for a remote facility that does not have much data. I can use a single DAT72.

Hi nvrmaried,
You save your last Friday full backup as a month backup?

We save monthly backups as Friday 4's. These do not fall on actual chronological month ends.
We have a company standard to follow, but I am thinking that I might have to write something into the standard to cover this. The red-tape involved to do something like this is incredible, considering this is only for one small site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back