Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Sql Server 2k3 Standard exist on Windows Server 2k3 Enterprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
The main question in addition to the subject line is: Can it also see extra memory beyond 4 gig? We have a Win 2k3 *Standard* 32-bit server with 16 gig RAM so it only sees 4 gig. This has SQL server 2008 Standard on it.

We want to do an in-place upgrade to Win. server 2k3 Enterprise, which, I understand, will address up to 16 gig RAM. But will SQL server 2k3 be able to see this memory as well or does it have a limit of it's own, regardless of OS?
Thanks,
--Jim

As it's a 32bit application it'll still be limited. You can use AWE to get past this but you'll be better off installing a 64bit edition of Windows and a 64bit install of SQL Server so that the memory problems just go away.

This will require that you format and reinstall from the ground up, and that your hardware is 64bit.

Failing that you'll need the /3GB and /PAE switches in the boot.ini and you'll need to turn on AWE within SQL Server. Still only some parts of SQL will be able to use more than 4 Gigs of RAM. Basically only the buffer pool can use more than 2 Gigs of RAM. Things like the plan cache are limited to the normal 2 Gigs of RAM.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

Thanks very much...it sounds like a lot of tinkering to extend the life of long-in-the-tooth OS...I may just have to bite the bullet and do the full leap to 64-bit.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back