Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can SQL Profiler be used without "SA" rights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick2002

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
BE
I guess the subject sums it up pretty well.
In the organisation I work in, the DBA job got kind of split up in two : the "system" guys and the "application" guys.
Being one of the "system" guys, my job is to make sure the server runs smoothly, backups are being made etc. We have "sa" rights on the servers.
The "application" guys get to do the fun stuff, write stored procedures etc..., they are "dbo" for their own DB's. Now sometimes they like to use the sqlprofiler to do their job. Perfectly natural. But at this point, I have to give them "sa" rights or it won't work.
The BOL state that the profiler is a tool for system administrators only. Does anyone knows if there is a way around that ? Any useful comment is appreciated ! [bigears]

The following is from BOL

Starting SQL Profiler
SQL Profiler is started from the Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0, Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Microsoft Windows 98 Start menu, or from SQL Server Enterprise Manager.

With Windows Authentication mode, the user account that runs SQL Profiler must be granted permission to connect to an instance of SQL Server.

Its' a little vague but I would think you do not need sa rights.

MKAL, thank you for replying, but this is something we actually experienced. Is there anyone out there who can at least confirm that we're not hallucinating ? [dazed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back