Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone help me pick a good solution for vpn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athila

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2003
US
Hi! I work in a office wich has abot 15 users and now the company has opened asecond office in a different stae. I have been asked to come up with a solution to conect the 2 offices. Some of the things required are the ability to share files between the 2 places as well as mybe do video confrencing. Does anyone know what would be a cost afective solution? By the way , both places have ADSL and both places have 1 nt 4.0 servers but that may soon change to server 2003. Any info would greatly be apreciate it as well as any tutorials you can point me to!

Straightforward solution: use VPN routers ( I have had significant success with Linksys), set up dynamic DNS services for both sites - assuming your ADSL service is dynamic addressing- create VPN connection between the to sites et voila!

Richard

Richard, I will be setting up VPN connections with 2 linksys. can you help me if I got errors?
Thanks

No problem. Contact me via this thread.

I will turn e-mail notification on to let me know when there are any posts.

Richard

Richard, How do you manage to setup VPN on dynamic address?
What if one was disconnected and IP's have changed, do you have to reconfigure? I have one site Static and the other is Dynamic.

Currently, I am planning to setup a Win2K Server to Win2K Server VPN but find it difficult and slow. I may switch to Linksys.

Can a Windows Client on a remote site (at home) be able to access the VPN Linksys Network (on Office)?

Thanks.

I have created an FAQ on this - should be available shortly.

You are overoptimistic to expect any decent videoconferencing over DSL unless you have high speed SDSL. In general, any DSL/cable VPN will be constrained by the uplink speed on both ends - normally about 128kbs to 256kbs, so don't expect high speed file transfers or smooth video across the link.

A windows client can access the VPN (separate VPN tunnel needs to be set up), however I have never been able to successfully connect the standard Windows XP VPN client with the Linksys VPN - it is far easier to use SSH Sentinel or some other VPN client.

Richard

We have had pretty good service with this scenario on a T-1 to Cable connection. 3005 cisco vpn concentrator on one end and the pix 501 on the other. The clients on the other side of the 501 do not need cisco clients installed on them since the pix firewall is able to do vpn tunneling. Also this might be worth waiting on. SSL VPN more on this site

Depends on what kind of traffic. Lite and simple use Linksys. Heavy but not commercial use Netscreen. Commercial use Cisco.

AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back