Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone advise advantages of 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0mbachi

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US
Can someone advise advantages of 2501, 2503 and/or 2514 over 2505? What can be done on the initial three that can't be done on the latter?

Kombachi
The 2514 has the (obvious) advantage of two Enet ports. This allows you to route between two hosts/subnets with one router. My CCNA stack has a 2505 (8 port hub), and a 2516 (14 port hub plus BRI) in addition to two 2501s and a 2621. I modelled mine after the Lammle book. All of the 25xx series have two serial ports which are very useful to setup routing scenarios. They run the same IOS and have the same "performance".
The only difference in using a 25xx with a built-in hub is that the E0 port is "up" all of the time - you don't need to plug anything in to get link on a port.
Hope it helps!

BRI can't be run over a serial port?

No, it can't, but a POTS connection can be done over serial or AUX port.

Does Frame Relay use one or two copper pair?

Frame Relay in a router uses typically serial connections for physical layer, and the use of sub-interfaces to establish links to multiple frame relay networks via a single physical link

From the CO to the demarc, does frame relay travel over one or two copper pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back