Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can send but not recieve mail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeble

MIS
Sep 14, 2001
US
I have read the man pages but cannot find the answer to my problem. I am running sendmail and can send email. The problem is when i send mail to my linuxbox it it will not recieve the e-mail. I have a dynamic ip and am using minidns.net for dynamic dns. i have my box set up with the dns name that I use from minidns. I am not sure what is wrong. I know it has to be a configuration issue but I am not sure what to do. Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Court Campbell

I am a bit busy but I will help you tonight (next 3 hours). Please standby for my tips! Cheers!

Tedson99

Hi feeble,
I'm having the same problem. I can mail out just fine but when I try to e-mail myself from hotmail, I get the following message back:

content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;boundary="f8B4sVi02682.1000184071/nakremodeling.com"

Content-Type: text/plain

The original message was received at Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:54:30 -0700
from f208.law10.hotmail.com [64.4.15.208]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<john@nakremodeling.com>
(reason: 550 5.1.1 User unknown)
john
(reason: 550 5.1.1 User unknown)
(expanded from: <john@nakremodeling.com>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.1 john... User unknown
550 5.1.1 <john@nakremodeling.com>... User unknown

Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; nakremodeling.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; f208.law10.hotmail.com
Arrival-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:54:30 -0700

Final-Recipient: RFC822; john@nakremodeling.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Unix; 550 5.1.1 User unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:54:31 -0700

Final-Recipient: RFC822; john@nakremodeling.com
X-Actual-Recipient: RFC822; john@nakremodeling.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Unix; 550 5.1.1 User unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:54:31 -0700

The mail is finding my server but it isn't finding me. I checked my mail logs and they give the same reason for rejecting the mail. I hope somebody out there can set us wise. I've been messing with this for months and checked every document on the internet and the best answer so far is &quot;it has to be a typo somewhere&quot;. I ain't buyin' it - I can spell my own name for cryin' out loud. If anybody has incoming mail working, can they give us a few things we can check. I'm down to my last nerve on this one. Heck, I'm even starting to think &quot;qmail&quot;.

I to have heard many resolutions to my problem. have heard it was a dns issue. I have heard it had to do with the sendmail.cf file where i needed to change the 127.0.0.1 to my internal ip address. So I am running named and have changed the cf file a few times. I am not sure what is going on, the technical documentation isn't really that helpful. I just don't get it. I am actually suprised there is not a large faq sheet on this issue on the net. But believe me when this is finally resolved I will be posting this on the net in many places.

As a side note I want to thank all the folks who have helped me and still are trying. I understand it's hard to help someone troubleshoot a machine without knowing all the variables involved. I really just want to thank all the folks in the newsgroups, bbs, forums, etc.

Thanks,
Court Campbell

ok I got it you need to set up a relay for your domain in /etc/mail/access. then you need to makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access.

To my knowledge, that file is for the domains or hosts you will let pass mail through your server but I thought , what the heck and I tried it but no change so I'll keep digging.
Does that mean you can get mail now? I can only get mail for &quot;root&quot;. I don't know why it doesn't see any other users. What's that? Do I hear somebody saying qmail? :eek:)

RhythmAce I to had this problem. I had to delete myself and add myself as a new user again before I could recieve mail for users that I had added. I was thinking it was a permission thing, but I didn't look into it. Try adding a new user and seeing if the mail works.

IT WORKED!!!

feeble the ALL WISE, the ALL KNOWING. Shrines, ney, cities shall be built in your honor. Nations for generation upon generation shall sing your praises. I have tried everything under the sun and never thought of recreating my account. Thanx a million.

Thanks RA,

It really was just a lot of digging and some intuition really. I am just glad to hear we were able to solve our problem. I am going to be posting a super non-technical doc on basic sendmail setup. I really couldn't believe how long and tha man hours involved in troubleshooting this problem. I love Linux, but I wish we could talk less tech and more human.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back