Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ReportNet replace desktop Imromptu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleD

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
I have heard rumors that Cognos is suggesting that ReportNet is able to completely replace desktop Impromptu. I didn't think that was possible, since ReportNet is completely web based, so it wouldn't be able to use local datasources. (ie Access Databases)

Has anyone else heard this, and if so, has it been redesigned with this capability?

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

I've not heard that evil rumor.

I would think they'd be crazy to make that suggestion; they'd be locking themselves out of any market where there's not big bucks to put in an enterprise web solution...for the C-S product, you just need software and a database. For CRN, you need an app server, web server, authentication source....way more human resources to keep it running.

Of course, if they do make that decision (CRN only), I've finally found my niche to build and market my own
software!! [thumbsup]

You of course can use Access data source through ODBC.

To quote CindyW: "For CRN, you need an app server, web server, authentication source....way more human resources to keep it running."

I couldn't agree more. CRN sucks up major resources to keep it running than a basic Impromptu solution. Unless you need an enterprise web solution, and I mean enterprise, not just a couple hundred users, there's no way I'd implement ReportNet for basic report listings, or even cube drill-thrus for that matter. Stay with Impromptu/IWR.

That is, unless you need a web-services tie-in for basic listing reports. Then I think you'd need ReportNet.

We've talked to some Cognos people and they are saying that Impromptu will be replaced at some point with ReportNet. The fact that ReportNet is browser based is irrelevant regarding access to local databases. The real blessing is that ReportNet has a “0” (zero) footprint on the client. Most of the features of Impromptu have been either passed along or enhanced upon. Undoubtedly ReportNet will improve over time. Keep in mind that ReportNet is still a new product. It has bugs but it will evolve.

The fact that ReportNet is browser based is irrelevant regarding access to local databases.
How do you see this as irrelevant? Are you suggesting ReportNet will be able build catalogs on the fly against local datasources? That would be impressive. I had not heard of Cognos planning to do that.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

ReportNet will be able to use the local datasources through ODBC. Sure, you need an administrator on the server to add the DSN, but then you are all set. Just in case you didn't know, ReportNet can print to any printer on your network - you just have to add it to the server and you're off and running. Downside? You'll have to go over the network from the server to the local datasource vs having the catalog on your machine and just doing a local disk access. But, you can still connect to them.

Having 0 footprint for the client is incredibly nice. I saw fewer resources to keep it running than we did with Impromptu. Sure, we needed to buy bigger computers to run the parts, but we went from having to keep 6600 clients patched/upgraded/troubleshoot (upgrades were a months long hassle even with unattended remote installs) to having to keep 5 production servers up and running (only five because we also have IWR and Powerplay). ReportNet has been remarkably stable in our experience and we've not touched the servers other than the initial install and config, and a little bit of tuning (and upgrades). We were able to take some people off Cognos duty since we didn't have the hassle of dealing with all the clients.

So I see ReportNet as being able to replace Impromptu. The type of reports you can make is also so much greater it is amazing. A report that could take an hour to layout in Impromptu you can do in five minutes in ReportNet. I'm sure somewhere the converse is true, but I've pretty much washed my hands of Impromptu ever since I started using ReportNet so I doubt I'll have the pleasure of experiencing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back