Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can renew IP from router but cannot ping router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelang

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
US
I'm experiencing a problem similar to, but slightly more frustrating than, this thread:

thread581-177979 ("Can ping network connections but cannot access internet")

I have a network with 3 computers -- 1 Windows98 and 2 WindowsME machines. I have a cable modem through Cox, a Netgear router, and a netgear switch.

About 3 days ago one of the ME computers lost its ability to access any computer, either on the LAN or on Internet.

I followed all of the advice on the other thread (both from PEANUTSMM and LUWAIN), from removing all network components, including dial-up, and editing the registry, to actually removing the NICs and installing a new one in a different slot. I still experience the same error.

I can renew the IP address either through the router (it gives me 192.168.0.2) or through my ISP if I connect the computer directly to the cable modem. But once the IP is renewed I cannot ping anything other than 127.0.0.1 and the IP of the NIC. I've tried setting a static IP with a static gateway of the router and get the same error. I cannot ping anything outside of the network either.

Other computers on the network can ping and access everything fine, but they cannot see this computer.

I've also checked ROUTE PRINT (which looks the same as the other WindowsME machine except the local IP is different), and performed various ARP commands, from removing all (-d) to setting each individual IP/MAC address (-s). Nothing is working.

So my question is, any thoughts outside of reinstalling windows from scratch? This is probably where I'm heading but I wanted to understand this issue better because I've seen it at the office as well and our tech support guys just tend to reinstall an image from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

Bingo! Uninstalling Zone Alarm was the correct solution.

Same problem. One of three computers suddenly could not ping. It could obtain an IP address from the DHCP router, and it could ping itself (127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.101). But it was invisible to the other machines, and it could not touch the D-Link router.

That was 12 hours ago.

[1] There is a reference in the registry to vsdata95.vxd that persisted after I uninstalled Zone Alarm. That may be the culprit if all you want to do is turn it off for a while.

[2] I found this thread by surfing on the net using Google with a search of "can get dhcp cannot ping" (or something like that). I wanted to post a thank-you reply, so I "registered" for tek-tips. Guess what? My carefully captured Google search results no longer pointed to this thread! Instead it pointed to the entrance portal. I guess it had something to do with the cookie I allowed on my machine. Anyway, I had to search all over again to get back to this point.

Bottom line: THANKS, FOLKS!!

-- The Rixter
Key West, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back