Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can remotely connect to Server but not to Workstation????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLK3541

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2005
US
When connecting remotely using Remote Desktop Web Connection I can get to my Server as if I was sitting in front of it. When I try to connect to my workstation I get this message:

“The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection…………”

I also can’t ping my IP address for my workstation but the windows fire wall is turned off, and I am already pass the Sonic Wall. I have checked off the allow users to connect remotely to this computer in system properties. What is keeping me from connecting to my workstation?

Help Please!!!!!!!

-Double check the firewall.

-Check that File and Print Sharing is On

-Check that RPC is running

-Make sure your user account is in the "allowed" RDP users.

Those are where I would start.

Having the same problem
I have a remote user (Developer) using Win2003 SBS and he was always able to remote into our network. But since he installed SP1 he no longer can remote in. We use a CISCO VPN to make the connection which connects fine but when he tries to remote in he gets that same error. The strange thing is, once he has the VPN connection, he can map drive and work with the SQL databases but he just can't RDC into anything.
Have you found the answer yet.
Thanks much

Sorry no answer yet!!

I have double checked the firewall & file and print sharing, RPC is started, and all users are in the RDP users. Still can’t connect to my desktop. I can get to the Server using the public IP address. When I type in my desktop private IP address I still get this message:

“The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection…………”

Not sure what to do next!!!

Thanks

Go to your workstation computer. Right click My Computer, Click Remote Tap, Check box Remote Desktop allow users to connect remotely to this computer. Select remote users to allow connect admins will have auto authorized

Thanks all users already have access. Could forwarding of TCP Port 3389 have anything to do with why I can get to Server but not Workstation?

First thing to verfiy...

Run gpedit.msc on the system (if in AD, then run it at primary AD server.)

Computer Configuration/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignments

Set "Allow logon through terminal services" to include the proper groups for your username.

I've done that to. The funny thing is I even tried to connect using VNC and that doen't work. But like I said previously, the remote user can map drives, use SQL Enterprise but cannot remote into any system.
About to give up.
Thanks for your response

Hrm, after re-reading this, my fix probably won't work. If you cannot ping there is another network problem happening here.

Tell us a bit more about your network, do you utilize static IP's, DHCP, DNS, and is everything on the same subnet?

You say you're passed the Sonicwall, is the system you're connecting to on the inside or outside of the Sonicwall you're referencing?

To test port 3389 try this out...

It looks as if all the sittings and policies are set the same for the Server as with the Workstation. I will double check to make sure. It is just killing me that I can remote into the Server. I just upgraded all of my win2000 machines to XP to be able to connect from home.

Will keep trying!!!!

Thanks for helping

When you said you were 'already past your Sonic wall', what exactly did you mean by that?

If you're hitting the public address with an RDP request and, as you've noted, you have 3389 traffic forwarded to your server you'll definitely have a problem.

Perhaps you could clarify exactly how you're doing your remote connection.

Have a remote user that connects to our local network with Cisco VPN client. This remote users OS is WIN 2003. Pre SP1 and some patches he was always able to RDC into any of the machines on our local network. Now that he has installed SP1 and some patches (I have no idea how many and not sure if he even knows) the VPN connections works fine but he can't RDC to anyone. I even gave him VNC to try and that don't work. He's able to Map drives, use SQL Manger to connect to local SQL databases and other things of that sort. It almost seems like some port on his 2003 box had gotten closed during a update. He even went as far as uninstalling Win2003 Sp1 and that didn't even work. Now he reinstalled the services pack and still no sucess.

Forgot to mention
With him not able to remote into our network, The funnier things is that I can remote into his computer.

Everything is on the same subnet, I am using DHCP. My workstation IP has not changed in 90 days.

The system is on the inside of the Sonicwall(my fire wall). From inside the office I can connect to any desktop that is running XP and the Server. From outside the network I can only get to the Server.

I have been connecting using both the Remote Desktop Connection in XP and Name/tsweb

PLK3541,

I understand your topology. I was wondering how you connect remotely. Do you hit the public address for the Sonicwall with RDP requests? Do you VPN in first then try to RDP to your workstation? How do you do things?

Public IP Address to Sonicwall with RDP request

PLK,

If what you say: "Could forwarding of TCP Port 3389 have anything to do with why I can get to Server but not Workstation" is true then there's no wonder why you can only RDP to the server.

One way around it might be, if you have VPN connectivity set up on your Sonic wall you could connect that way first then try an RDP connection.

I will try that now thanks for your help.Wont know until I get home.

I think you are missing the whole benefit of sbs2003?? I didnt read all the replies but..... Open port 80 ,3389 (termsrv) 4125 (remote web). Using internet explorer login or point to your public IP or domain name. If you set up Internet connection in your server mgmt. list you should get a ssl message. Reply yes and go in through the sbs screens and login to the pc by picking it out of the list of workstations. Using terminal server isnt the way, although that can be done too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back