Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can receive e-mail from a company, but can't send to the company 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gepper21

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
US
I have come across this probelm a couple of times with my Exchange Server. The company we are in contact with can send e-mails to us with no problem, but when we try to send e-mails to them they get put in the SMTP queue and send back a delay notification, but they never go through. We send and receive e-mails to many other individuals and companys with no probelms. I have checked to make sure that we are not an open relay (which we arent) to make sure we werent being blocked for some reason. Any Ideas??? Thanks.

Go to and perform a Spam Database look up. You could have gotten onto a spam list for any number of reasons. An open realy is a sure fire way to get on one but not the only way. If you are on a list then instructions are usually posted for how to get removed. Each company is diffrent so if you are on multiple lists you may have to do several diffrent things to satisfy each companie's requirements. Hope that helps.

Julie

Burried in snow :(

Thanks for the info. Looks like Im having a problem with my reverse lookup zone. All of my records in the zone are internal addresses. Do I need to put the external address of my exchanger server in there along with the internal address??

A Reverse Zone record needs to be created on the DNS server responsible for your mail server's e-mail domain. What ever DNS server is responsible for your mail servers public ip address resolution needs a reverse DNS. I don't know if you have your own DNS server taking care of that but if your ISP is in charge of DNS for your public IP address to domain name resolution then you need to ask them to create a reverse lookup zone.

Julie

Buried in snow :(

My Exchange Server is running on the same machine as my DNS Server. I have created a Reverse Lookup Zone, and I assume its working correctly, but I'm not sure.

The DNS server for your internal organization or the DNS server that host the record for your domain name? You need the reverse zone lookup on the one for the domain name. Sorry I just had to make sure.

To test your reverse look up go to and running a report or by going to and running a reverse DNS report on the ip address. The nice thing about is it tells you about lots of other potential problems. reverse lookup is to the point however.

Note: it can take up to 48 hours for a change to DNS to be registered across the internet so you may have to wait as much as 2 days or as little as 1 hour.

Assuming all went well you just need to submit a request for a re-evaluation from the people who's spam list you are on and they can remove you.

Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back