Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can RBAC be implemented on Solaris 2.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainDeadTechie

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2003
GB
I have a need to supply a number of users with the same access, profile and rights to run a set of applications. Currently the users log on using the same username/password!!!!.

For security reasons I want to put a stop to this and RBAC seems ideally placed for this. I know it was implemented from ver 8 onwards but can I "patch" solaris 2.6 or get it going with a work around?

I cannot upgrade the version of Solaris as the bespoke applications are written for Solaris 2.6 and are used in aircraft systems; re-writing aircraft software and getting it accredited will not be considered by clients.

Many Thanks.

Have I searched at all?

You obviously have not worked in the aircraft industry.

1. Man writes software, every line gets tested (costs lots of money)
2. Man upgrades software, every line gets tested (costs lots of money)
3. Something goes wrong and you go back to the source supplier, nothing signed off, aircraft don't fly and you are back to the start while installed software is checked.

Freeware: try it, love it. However, I am not responsible for my software causing unintentional problems in your system.......

I specifically asked about RBAC as it is an implementation by Sun. Now, Can RBAC be implemented on Solaris 2.6?

Chandu,

Thank you for your comments, I will look into the references further.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back