Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can QSIG be turned on in a G3siV9.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzmike

MIS
Aug 30, 2011
US
I have been having a heck of a time getting what I was hoping was simple information. I realize that this PBX version is old. I get that...but have been getting conflicting reports on whether or not QSIG can be turned on on the Definity G3siV9.5? I understand that licensing is a part of it, and the question remains for us specifically is way back when did we get the licensing to enable it. However, a couple of vendors are telling me that we can't have a license for it because it cannot be enabled. They of course are trying to upsell me on something that we don't really need for this project. I am not sure one way or the other, but have come across some clues, I think, but no one can give me a straight answer.

For starters, I have read that to enable QSIG on a signaling group, to enter 'b' for Supplementary Services. The only 2 sig groups we have currently are set to a, but that is because we didn't need QSIG for it.

We do have this:
qsig_pfzktg.png

And I realize that is says QSIG is not enabled. So here is my question - if the possibility doesn't exist to have it enabled (as in it is not supported), why would it even be listed at all? How can I know for sure if a.) it is supported and b.) do we have the licensing for it (if it is supported)?

We are migrating to a new system and will only need QSIG for about a month so I want to just be sure I am smart going into conversations with the vendors. Thanks in advance for the help!

Code:
System: G3siV9     Software Version: R009i.05.1.122.4

display system-parameters customer-options               Page   7 of   8   SPE B
                             QSIG OPTIONAL FEATURES

Basic Call Setup? y
                             Basic Supplementary Services? y
                                    Centralized Attendant? y
                                    Interworking with DCS? y
                    Supplementary Services with Rerouting? y
                            Transfer into QSIG Voice Mail? y
                                       Value-Added (VALU)? y

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Great info! I appreciate it. Is there any possibility that we did in fact purchase the license for it, but just didn't enable it? I realize that seems I am asking you to look into the past annals of our storied IT past, but that is not what I mean :) What I am asking is - if we happened to purchase the licensing in the past could we own the proper license, but still have it showing up as not enabled (simply because we didn't use/need it yet). Just trying to determine what my next validation step needs to be. It has been so long ago, I have no idea how to go about determine if this is the case. Thanks again!

in r9.5 an Avaya "init" login would be needed in order to turn on RTU.
There are not any license files for systems earlier than r10.

Your picture shows that this is not enabled for your system.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Ok, I think I'm getting it now. In order for it to have been enabled, it would have had to have been purchased and built in from the beginning, as there are no pack updates available. This is why it shows not enabled in my system, but does in the screenshot below it?
This is very unfortunate news for our situation and going to make our transition significantly more difficult! I appreciate the help!

One more question...what role does QSIG/Sup Services play? I,cant seem to find a straight answer. All we need for about 2 weeks' time is to have some calls routed through the current PBX ports and some routed through a T1/PRI connection via a DS1 card to a Sonus SBC expecting to receive signaling from. T1/PRI. What role does QSIG play in this outside of what is handled via the UDP, aar, etc?

QSIG does extra stuff regular ISDN doesn't - like light message waiting lamps and path replacement. If Alice on Avaya called Sally on Sonus and Sally transferred Alice to Alex on Avaya, with QSIG, the trunk would be smart enough to not treat that flow as taking up channels on the trunk. Without QSIG, that scenario would take 2 channels.

OK, I think I am possibly focused on the wrong thing and need to take a step back and ask the question a different way. It is not on the same subject, so I will start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back