Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Procomm Plus on PC without a POTS line be used to dial in to a Hicom 150 PBX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3000gt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
US

I need to remote login to a Hicom 150 PBX that is connected t the PSTN (public network) with a dial up modem. I have Procomm Plus on a PC with Internet connectivity, as well as Skype phone service over internet (digital). I do not have a POTS analog line to use though.

I would like to find out if there is a way to use something, an application(like Skype etc.) , software that does the modulation/demodulation (modem), or is there a PC modem that converts digital to analog so the call goes out analog?

Anyone know of anyway to call this analog modem connected PBX from a PC with only internet access?

Also, is there a quick way to check if there is Digital, LAN or ISDN remote access available on this switch?

Any help is appreciated.

Expertise in Avaya, Rolm/Siemens, Mitel, Nortel, NEC, Alcatel, Toshiba, Aspect, Ericsson, Executone, Panasonic PBXs & KSUs

Unless someone gives me a big eye opener and says I'm completely wrong, you can't Administer a Hicom 150 with ProComm regardless. You need to have at the very minimum the limited customer Assistant C tool, but better would be Manager E or Assistant E depending on which version of the 150 you are on (V1, V2, and V3). The login and password are also different between V1 and V2 and V3. Basically on the 150 you download its brain into the tool, modify it as needed and then upload the whole thing back tot he system. You will still need a modem on your PC or a direct cable connection to the system.

My bad, I should have said I have both Hipath Manager and Hicom Manger as well as Procomm.

So, the problem is trying to remote log in t the Hicom, which only has a dial up POTS CO trunk connection to the outside world.
And I have a PC with only an internet connection, no Analog line or modem.

Is there a device/product or app/software that can convert a digital call into an analog

Is there a way to tehter a cell phone to the laptop and then call out using Hicom/Hipath Manger through the cell phone line?

Expertise in Avaya, Rolm/Siemens, Mitel, Nortel, NEC, Alcatel, Toshiba, Aspect, Ericsson, Executone, Panasonic PBXs & KSUs

If your service provider allows it and the phone supports it you can tether to your PC with a USB cable, but doe to the nature of cellular service and the possibility of dropping the connection I would strongly advise against that - at least for uploading the file back to the system, which is critical to not be corrupt.

If you have another PC in your network that does have a modem under windows you can usually configure that PC to allow its connection to be shared. You might try that if it's an option - you could also remote control that computer with PC-Anywhere or logmein.com to achieve your goal.

I think you need an HG1500 card in the system in order to do administration over the LAN, and when I tried to do that I was told I was on my own trying to do it - I think it has to be licensed and Siemens wouldn't issue the license, but I'm not completely sure. You may not need a license to put the board in there, but possibly to activate the ports.

If your company has any of the Optiset Memory Phones with the big screen you can also do some simple administration through that by dialing * 9 5 and then using 31994/31994 for login and password (you may be asked twice).

I can't think of too many other ways around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back