Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can plugging in firewire cable backwards fry HD electronics??

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcegen

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
US
Need to know and how I can get a new enclosure for a Maxtor One Terabyte drive with two 500 gigs obviously striped as one inside.

Thanks!!

How did you manage pray tell, to plug it in backwards? It's asymetric! To answer your question it can fry MORE than your HD. It will cause a power surge and could toast your mobo.

Please don't tell me that you did this?

Well the Maxtor firewire jack is very flimsy and actually was bent open so the plug could and was inserted wrong. Nothing wrong with the computer but it probably did fry the board inside the maxtor case. I'm almost thinking of just getting another 1 terbaye drive, swapping out the drives and then using the two 500 giggers inside as seperate hard drives in their own cheap enclosures. In the end it's cheaper than data recovery

Actually this is a very common problem with firewire, sorry but your computer is fine but the Storage device is fried, the hard drives inside will be fine. but the firewire interconnect is done (burnt, cooked). It happens to the best of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back