Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping web but can't browse... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmojo

Programmer
Jun 6, 2002
US
I just brought cable into the office, connected through Linksys router to existing network (Win2k file server, NT4 workstations) and am having trouble getting the workstations to connect. They seem to be set up the same, but they don't act the same.

setup is:

Linksys router between cable modem and hub
DHCP enabled
IP 192.168.1.1
DNS1 207.192.213.13

NT WS#1 connected to hub
DHCP enabled
IP 192.168.1.3
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP server 192.168.1.1

NT WS#2 connected to hub
DHCP enabled
IP 192.168.1.5
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP server 192.168.1.1

WS#1
*can ping the router
*can ping an outside website by IP and name
*can not load a website by IP or name
*can not access mail server with Outlook Express

WS #2
*can't ping router "can't find ping: non-existent domain"
*can't ping website by IP "request time out"
*can't ping website by name (name resolved to IP number, then timed out)
*can load the website just fine by name or number
*can send and receive email with Outlook Express

Both machines NT4 SP6, IE5.5
There are a couple of other NT4 machines that behave just like WS #1 (no browsing).
Any Suggestions?

Thanks for response mithrilhall. I have not tried cloning a MAC address. Can you enlighten me how that would be necessary or helpful?

Sounds like a DNS problem to me. Did you input the correct DNS servers? When you go to TCP/IP properties on your workstations, what's entered under DNS?

schreief, the win2k server is DNS server. Linksys is DHCP server.

Sorry, schreief, my last post was off the mark. The TCP/IP properties box on workstations lists ISP name server in DNS search order box. nslookup returns the same server as default server. WS#1 can ping any website by name, just can't load it in browser. WS#2 can access any website with browser, but can't ping it.

Did you try turning DHCP OFF? I know 2 DHCP severs interfere. I thought you put the web server info into the router, not the workstations. The workstation, should just access the LAN, or have an option to access the internet via the LAN.

You may have to set the router to connect to a static IP of the NT Server and turn DHCP off since you already have a server, or an IP address the LAN can use for DNS. I am under the impression that with a server you do not use DHCP, but static IP addresses. A router can have 2 IP addresses one on the inside (LAN) and one on the outside (WAN). If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ceh4702, thanks for your input. DHCP is provided by the router only. I tried turning it off at the router and having W2K server be DHCP server, but it didn't work any better. Currently the router is the only DHCP server.
The DNS server address (the ISP) is entered in the router setup. I think I plugged it into the workstation DNS search order field in desperation. Clearing that field makes no difference. nslookup still returns the ISP name server, the same on both workstations.
I also installed Netscape, thinking it might be an IE problem. NS gives "operation timed out" message, IE gives "page cannot be displayed" message.
It seems that if it were a router or server problem, neither workstation would connect. Also, the fact that the machine that won't connect is able to ping remote sites by name should indicate that DNS is working OK, right?

If you have Microsoft Proxy Client installed, you may have to uninstal it. I recently went through the same ordeal. Even though I was "Obtaining an Ip automatically" and not using Proxy services, I still had to uninstakll this before I could have my laptop see the internet. I could ping the web, just not connect. Hope this helps.

tc3596, thanks. I'll look for that, tho I don't believe Microsoft Proxy Client is installed. At least, it didn't show up in the list of services.

Sometimes the MAC address has to be cloned on the WAN setup of the router. Often when installing a Cable modem it is a static IP and they also record the MAC Address from the workstation. You have to use a utility to resolve the MAC address from the NIC card.

I think the Router handles the gateway part of the setup and the network doesnt need that gateway address in the individual network settings, because that is in the WAN PART OF THE ROUTER SETUP. Assuming you do not use a gateway on your internal network. On the ROUTER the LAN SIDE is just for your LAN SETUP. The LAN SIDE can use DHCP or be issued an internal IP address. When using a router you usually only use internal IP numbers or DHCP.

A good website to look for help is:

They have some examples for different operating systems.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

tc3596, thanks a million! Microsoft Proxy Client was indeed installed on some of the NT machines. Removed it thru control panel>add/remove programs, rebooted and connected immediately. Thanks again, and thanks to all who responded.

I have seen similar problems quite a few times. Try nslookup and see if you get a valid IP address. If you can PING it OK, DNS is OK. If PING works and NSLOOKUP does not, the problem is in your IP stack on the box. You may need ro remove and reinstall IP to get this to work. Like I said, I've seen this quite a lot especially if you've ever connected to a Netware server with those 2000 boxes.

In your Browser (I'm assuming IE), go into the Tools | Internet Connection... In the Connections Tab -- click on the LAN settings button.

Ensure that NOTHING in there is checked.

If you it's set to automatic scripting for proxies -- it could pooch your browsing.

Lemme know how that works... Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Hi, I read your original message and a few of the replies. I only see one possible problem with your setup and that is, IF you are getting the name server IP from your ISP then you have a static IP for your router. This means that the NS1 data you are using must also be added to your work stations. Thats it.

meyerd,Alshrim,TheBackupHost, thanks for the additional input. The problem is now solved, apparently it was caused by Microsoft Proxy Client existing on some of the NT machines. No proxy was enabled, all boxes were cleared in IE LAN settings. Removing MPC solved the problem immediately. See post above from tc3596.

Hi stmojo, why don't you try to statically assign your dns addresses to the tcp/ip properties of your lan card. If it doesn't work then check the your internet properties and make sure that on the connections tab you selected "never dial a connection", then click on lan settings and make sure that no boxes are checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back