Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping but cannot map drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2003
US
I can connect to the server through the VPN. Once connected I get the correct ip settings. I can ping the server ip that I am connecting to, but when I try to access the server (using it's ip address) through the run command or map network drive, it says the network path cannot be found. In the properties of the vpn server I have selected the server to act as a VPN server and for LAN routing. On the client side I have tried it with both the use default gateway on remote network both checked and unchecked.

Any ideas on what I need to in order get to my shared drives?

The 2k3 server is running the vpn. I can either set up the router to have 1723 & 47 forward vpn requests to an internal ip address of the server, or give it a public ip and connect directly to it...

I had one of these just last week. We sent a bit of time trying to figure it out. I could ping it, but I couldn't net use or \\ to it. It turned out that our networking people had just switched them to a VPN and we had to update the MTU settings (or something like that). Sorry I don't have the details, I just pointed and my tech ran with it. Here was the link I found:

Good luck,
Debi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back