Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping but cannot map drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2003
US
I can connect to the server through the VPN. Once connected I get the correct ip settings. I can ping the server ip that I am connecting to, but when I try to access the server (using it's ip address) through the run command or map network drive, it says the network path cannot be found. In the properties of the vpn server I have selected the server to act as a VPN server and for LAN routing. On the client side I have tried it with both the use default gateway on remote network both checked and unchecked.

Any ideas on what I need to in order get to my shared drives?

You might have some ports being blocked. Ping uses ICMP so, this port might be open, while other ports are blocked.

I would turn off any firewalls while you are testing your access. Then turn the firewalls back on...and tweak them to allow access..

Other tests...

- Can you use NSLOOKUP to find the remote server?
- Can you see the server using NBTSTAT?
- try Start --> Run --> \\<servername> do you see the server?
- try Start --> Run --> \\<server ip address>

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I tried both the start run for \\servername and ip with no luck.

When using nslookup it defaults to the dns server of my broadband connection at home. Does this mean that it is trying to access the vpn from the wrong connection on my workstation? Using my regular connection rather than my vpn connection?

Does SBS 2003 have ports blocked automatically? My router is passing through 1723 and GRE to the server...

Thanks

Do you have Remote Desktop configured on your server? I wonder if you can Remote Desktop to the server using it's IP address...

Man, I remember running into a problem similar to this in the past. But It's been such a long time, I don't remember the solution. I would create a local HOST file for the servers that you need to get to .... this way DNS will work.

I don't think there will be any ports blocked unless you add software to the server. I mean, when you are local to the server, you can get to the shares right?

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Try this one

\\servername\ipc$ /user:<domain>\<username>

And give me the result back. Than I can help you further.

JJ

excuse me

net use \\servername\ipc$ /user:<domain>\<username>

And give me the result back. Than I can help you further.

Joseph, I can access the shares on the local network no problem and I have not added any additional software.

JJ, after running the command the result is:
System Error 53 had occured
The network path was not found.

Other ideas:

1) sounds like your having resolution problems. So, if you have a WINS server, make sure you put these in your TCP/IP settings. Also create a HOST entry locally for the server you are trying to attach to.

2) (Make sure step one is done) Instead of using your domain profile. Create a local profile on the desktop/laptop. Then connect through the VPN. I remembered that this was the fix for the problem I was having with my VPN....

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

I will ensure that WINS is setup properly.
But since I cannot connect through ip address either it seems that there is something else besides name resolution...

Were you able to Remote Desktop to the server using its IP address. If you can, this will confirm that the VPN is working properly. If you find that your VPN is working properly, try to create a local profile on your workstation and then connect to the VPN and connect to shares. I had a problem before where the credentials of the cached domain profile account was causing problems....I then created a local profile. Using the local profile, I was able to hit the shares. Once I hit the shares, I was prompted for authentication.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

I have not yet tried the remote desktop.

Do I need a terminal services license in order to set this up?

No this is free with 2003.

Server Setup:
1) Right click My Computer and choose Properties
2) Click the REMOTE tab
3) Place a Check Mark in the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
4) Make sure that you select the proper users in under the "Select Remote Users" button.

-no reboot is needed

To Connect:

1)All progams --> Accessories --> Communications --> REmote Desktop Connection
2) type in the IP address or servername

this will allow you to connect....

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

I will be able to connect to the remote desktop from w2k machines? I don't see the Remote Desktop Connection under communications.

Damn, Local profile did not do it....

I don't get it, once connected I can successfully ping the server, but cannot connect to shares via \\server\share or \\ip\share

Frustrating!

Well....this shows that your VPN is working...

...some more ideas...

- Try to make a local profile with a different user name and password.

- Try to make a local profile with the same user name and password.

- Also try to map the drive with credentials....

- Temporarily enable the guest account on your server....just to see if authentication is causing this problem...then turn off the guest account.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

Ok, I must be missing something extremely obvious.

I have got to the point where I can ping by ip AND \\servername.

When I try to connect to \\servername \\ip by the run command, command prompt or map network drive it continues to tell me the network is not found.

I have the user account I am connecting with a member of all kinds of groups, admin, domain admin, mobile user, etc...

There has to be something simple that I am missing. I have setup several vpn's on W2K servers..........

Joe, I have a question. I have setup a vpn in the past where each of my nics on the server are on the same ip scheme, 192.168.1.x Should I be doing this on 2003 or should can I use 192.168.1 for internal and 192.168.0 for my vpn nic? Do each of these use the same subnet? If not, I know that I use 255.255.255.0 for 192.168.1, what about 192.168.0?

Or should I be using one of my public ip's for my vpn card?

thought I'd throw 2 pence in the old pot.

what is creatign the VPN... a router ... or win2k /2in 2k3 server?

if its the router then use 2 diff ip ranges and let the router bridge the 2 network. This will avoid routing problems due to 2x networks being on diff rnages and the router performing the bridge.

or get an IP assigned by the router if you dont NEED that static on the remote end (provding the router can do this).

I'm coming inhere sideways so aplogies if i'm way out on the problem or use of the vpn.

regards

Romolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back