Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping address but not name

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestPAGiz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I recently purchased a new router(Belkin). My windows 98
machines run fine, but my XP machine kept giving the
message at the bottom that network is unpugged. It would
still work but very slow. So I changed the network card
in that machine to a Belkin. I uninstalled the old and
installed the new and then couldn't get to the network at
all. It would not get an address from the router. So I
maually put an address on the card. Now I can get to the
router but not out to the internet. It won' resolve any
names. I put the DNS setting for att into my XP
machine,but no luck. It will allow me to ping address on
the internet, but it will not resolve a name.

hard to tell what your problem is from info provided, however first use the cable and port from a working 98 machine to connect to your xp machine (you could have a bad port in the router or a bad krimp in the cable) if that doesnt work look to belkins site for a firmware upgrade for your router. Lastly check to see if firewall is active on your lan connection.

Yes. I had already tried the other cable and I disable all firewall and went further to disable everything in the startup group. It has to be something on the pc since when I use my backup dialup connection the same thing happens. I found on the internet the command for resetting tcpip, netsh int ip reset, and that didn't help. I also tried the command ipconfig /flush dns.

When you manually set it did you make sure to set the gateway also?

On that XP Machine it sounds like you have some sort of personal firewall installed could be zone alarm or Symantec, i would disable any type of Antivirus software or personal firewall. If you can ping, then something is blocking dns, if you can ping the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) then something is blocking port 80 (html)or if you can only ping with IP address then something is blocking DNS

Thanks for all the input!

I decided to take the network card out and just work with the dialup. Same problem. Then, instead of disabling the firewall, I uninstalled it and the virus software. Then I could connect and get to the internet, but E-mail gave me a message that no sockets available. So, I put back in the network card and couldn't connect.

After performing the actions in my previous message, I then hard coded an address into may adapter and it works fine now. Computer?....Go Figure??

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back