Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can PC150 RAM be used on a PC100/133 board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuCOng

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Well, can it?

I don't mind if it only runs at 133Mhz. I have been given 256Mb PC150 memory that will (I believe) fit on my motherboard (a Gigabyte GA-7ZXR).

I'm just not sure it'll work/not wreck something.

The RAM has to be equal to or faster than the MB Mhz. It won't harm anything but it will run at 133. Hope this helps.

Cirrus9 is correct, as long as it is the same type the motherboard accepts (ie 168 pin DIMM) the speed of the RAM must be at least the speed of the bus of your motherboard.

It should work fine. Just make sure it's non-parity memory (non ECC) if it will be used in conjunction with memory that's already in the system.

Also, keep in mind that memory is cheap, so it's tempting to fill up your system with as much memory as it can take. However, if you're running any of the Win95/98/ME operating systems, you don't want to install more than 320 MB total. More on that if you need it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back