Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can only print PCL (pjl) file from Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

galger

MIS
Jan 16, 2002
US
Why????

I am Printing the same PCL file on five different flavors..
Only LinuxRedhat will print it.
The other 4 flavors (HPUX11, SCO, AIX, and Solaris)
Printer Data Light blink on the printer, it says it is printing.. then resets. The lp print job just disappears
from the queue. (lpstat -t)..

PS. I am adding the printer the same way on all machines.

Please let me know your thoughts..

Thanks,.

Have you tried printing a simple text file (like etc/hosts which I always use as a quick test), as opposed to the PCL file which is full of escape sequences?

Yes.. lp -d printer /etc/host prints fine.. I have printed many different type of files from all of these server..
The problem is just with PCL/PJL type file..

It seems that either your unix spoolers are mangling the data, or the original data file does not contain sequences valid on the target printer.

Try sending the 'PCL/PJL' file direct to the printer, to confirm that the original data is valid for the target device.

In Windows you'd use something like:

lpr -S IP-address -P queue-name myPCLPJLfile

where:

IP-address is the TCP/IP address of the printer (assuming it is connected directly to the network).
queue-name is the name of a queue on the printer; most HP devices accept any name, but some devices require particular values (e.g. lpt1_passthru).

Whether you can use the 'lpr' command in this way with HPUX etc., without the spool scheduler intercepting it, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back