Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can only ping one way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I just installed linus (rh-mandrake) and Im having trouble getting the networking to work. I can ping all machines in the local network up to the proxy server, but not outside of it. I thought I had a simple problem with the proxy settings even though the proxy is set correctly. But I tried to ping my linux machine from other machines on the network and can not ping the machine at all. How can it be that i can ping from the machine but cant ping the machine?

where do I go from here...

any help would be appreciated..

You probably have a tcp/ip setting wrong somewhere, possibly a subnet mask. The subnet mask on the linux machine is probably different to the subnet mash on the other machines.

Richard

richard@brecon.co.uk

Ill try to find the subnet mask. I used ifconfig eth1 172.16.149.91 to set the ip address. After the mandrake interface seemed not to effect the change. The command line did it for me. But when I tried to do it with the subnet mask ifconfig eth1 172.16.149.91 255.255.248.0 the command refused to run until I took off the subnet mask part.

but after that I was able to ping "out" from the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back