Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can only get "page under construction" IIS5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxphoneman

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
Hello...I'm going crazy trying to turn up this simple website on my WINxp pro machine. forget about logging into it locally..that won't happen..but I do manage to get "page under construction" from the outside world (another PC on another DSL account)so I have all my port forwarding working (port 80 forwared to the PC )..firewalls off...DYNDNS working great...but..as soon as I put a DEFAULT.HTM or INDEX.HTM file in the root directory...I get "page can not be displayed"...when I pull it back out..i get the "under construction page" ...I made the HTM from scratch (notepad) and one from MS Frontpage ...same results..pull it out of the directory..i get my under construction page back.Same results whether using IP or DNS name to get to the site.

Question....what do I have wrong..I haven't touched anything when i configured this thing...where does the "under construction" page come from...is it in the root directory? (hidden) ????

thanks for any info !!
Todd

ok...I can even install a redirect to another site without any problems ...just can't get it to stay and run the default.htm or index.htm file in the root directory with it giving me an error.

You see an HTML page that you never created and don't know where it came from?

No,the directory by default didn't have one in it..so i created one and stuck it in there.I did test it to make sure it did what it was suppose to do.
I checked on another machine with another dsl account..different router etc different IIS...same results.i get the page under construction page....and..when I stick a default.htm file in the root It gives me a page cannot be displayed error.....if I pull out the default.htm file...I get my under construction page back .I can
enter in a redirect ( in the IIS server and from the outside world I can watch it take me there when I try to access my site (whether by name or IP ) so I know that it has the ability to work..my port forwarding seems to be fine.
I'm making a mistake in both machines with IIS.It shouldn't be this hard.
Default document is at top of the list..in the documents section..so I know it hits that first...I should go look for a log file somewhere..to see if anything shows up.

ok...got it.Seems I had to set file/folder permissions on the directory where the web content is stored and share it.I wish this was on alot of the info I was pulling up on the web on how to do this (cranking up IIS 5 ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back