Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can only connect to SQL Server using IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccaprio

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
CA
I am having an issue with connecting to an sql server using its computer name but, it works with IP

osql -S IHQAVOTUS -U timesync --Doesn't work
osql -S 10.3.231.178 -U timesync --Works

Yes the SQL Server is pingable from DOS in both IP and name.

Thanks for your help

Is the SQL Server on the same network as the computer you are using to try and connect?

For instance, your SQL Server is 10.3.231.178 is your computer also on 10.3.231.xxx? Or is it on another network?

If it's on another network you might need to use the network_name/server_name.

-SQLBill

same network.

Whenever I go to get ODBC to use name pipes it won't work, when I get it to use TCP/IP no problem.

I have check the name pipe on my server and it is the same as the client

Why aren't you using TCP/IP for the connection?

Also, please don't make multiple posts for the same problem. You now have three threads going on this issue.

-SQLBill

I found some help for you:

Go to the BOL, use the Index tab. Enter named pipes. Select the option for Testing and Verifying. That shows how to test if Named Pipes is working.

-SQLBill

(BOL = Books OnLine = SQL Server Help.
Installed as part of SQL Server's Client Tools.
Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine)

in one ocassion ( two months ago ) i had this problem, and it was caused by COMPAQ machine. Are u using a COMPAQ ?

It's amazing 'cause i had problems with SQL Server and in some moments my machine lost your name with the DNS.

I could do a ping with the IP but no with the name.

Try to do a PING and see the machine name. If u cannot see the machine name u could have the same problem BUT, try this for a while, 'cause in some ocassions i could see all right.

If it's not the problem , try to review your network 'cause the adresses could be assigned wrongly.

Regards

The life is too short to cry and long enough to try it... God bless us.
[thumbsup2]

For any readers of this post....ccaprio has two other threads on this subject:

THREAD183-738695
THREAD183-738224

Each thread has different/additional information about this issue.

-SQLBill

My apologies about the three other issues. They are in fact all seperate. I had resolved the first two and this 3rd one was another, seperate issue.

THanks for the help,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back