Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can one win2k server use the other win2k server's active directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyagi

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
TZ
I am very new to exchange and I am trying to learn about it so I can implement it in my office.

We are getting our emails from our isp who is running an exchange server. We have configured a third party software which checks for emails from our isp and stores them on our company server which runs win2k. Then the computers, which are logging onto our server check their outlook and get their mails.

The server is running active directory and I have another server which is also running win2k server and is on the same domain but not running Active Directory, I want to configure Exchange2000 on this server so I can play with it but it requires Active Directory.

Can someone tell me how I can tell this other server to look at the server which has active directory running.

When you run DCPROMO select new DC in an existing Domain, and the prompts will tell you what to do from there. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

JUst remember that creating that new server with Exchange 2K will create accounts on the current Win2K server. Be very careful what you do because it could cause effects to the current Win2K server.

Installing Exchange 2000 on a production network to learn is not a good idea. Exchange 2000 requires modification to the Active Directory Schema. If you want to learn about how to install and use Exchange 2000 I would recommend you install it in a test bed environment first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back