Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can one stop spam - maybe question is the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjdabomb

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2002
US
Hi -

I have CC Mail version 8. Seems as though someone routinely is relaying mail through the server. From what I see, there is no way to stop this from within CCmail. POS.

I have started to look into GFI MailSecurity to potentially load onto a box between the CCmail server and my ISP. Is there any other possibilities to stop this exploit from with CCMail?

TIA -
Tim

Hey Tim,

I had the exact same problem. It seems that once these people find out you have a cc:Mail server they tell everyone who relays SPAM and they in turn bring your server to its knees. I saw an article on the Internet that said you could turn off POP3 and IMAP and that would do it but it didn't work for me. I started getting e-mail from the SPAM police saying they were going to black list us if we didn't get it stopped so I moved our e-mail to a local ISP who could stop the mail relaying. It's $3.50 per user per month. There are some 3rd party software companies that sell software that they say will allow you to turn off mail relaying but they'll charge you thousands for the software and then additional fees for each client account. I looked at MS Exchange but it too was very costly. I'm now looking at either moving to a more regional ISP which is actually cheaper than the smaller local ISP, COX Communications, or building a Red Hat Linux server and using their free Sendmail which does have anti-relaying built in.

Any way you look at it, you need to dump cc:Mail. Lotus/IBM doesn't even support it anymore and it's very hard trying to find solutions to problems that come up.

HTH-
Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back