Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can one Computer be accessed by two different names within the network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AubernKnight

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2003
US
I would like on computer to be accessed by two names.
from the run line tyeping '\\servera' or '\\serverb'

I would also like to be able to see both names in the browse list. Is the do able ? One or the other or both?

Thanks

Why? Need more details. Thanks.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

I have 2 Win2003 DCs running Wins & DNS. The server in question is a win2003 box being used as as file server I am consolidating a few small department File servers to one enterprise file server. I have 'file01' as the new server, and a departental server call 'dept01' all shares that were on 'dept01' now extist on 'file01'. What I would like to have happen is users how have a map to lets say '\\dept01\temp' will still work and if a users need to browse to '\\dept01' the server '\\file01' would respond.

You could always add a CNAME entry (also known as alias) in your internal DNS records. In your forward lookup zone, add a new Alias (eg serverb). In the Target Host, browse to the machine who it will be referring to (eg servera).

Just on an example of the use for this (for those reading this) is having a few hundered clients all having proxy set manually to a legacy NT machine called MSPROXY (running msproxy 2 for eg). This machine is replaced and a new Win2K machine with ISA is loaded. In keeping with naming conventions for the W2k environment, the new server name is to be MSISA01. All new machines can now be set to the new proxy MSISA01, but rather than try to manually change all the proxy settings for the hundereds of PCs with MSPROXY, a simple Alias (CNAME) entry in DNS makes the entire process transparent. In this case, the A Host record for MSPROXY will be removed and a CNAME Alias entry called MSPROXY put in pointing to the MSISA01 box.

Claudius (What certifications??)

You could alias the dept01 to your file01 ip address in DNS. This would work for all 2000/xp machines using TCP/IP & DNS for resolution.

As for the other older stations using wins i'm not sure.

I personally feel the real answer is to migrate the data over AND reupdate the mappings to point to the new server. Yes it will take longer, and a bit more planning is required but long term is a better idea (IMHE)

I agree with ashpp. Move the data, it will be the best way to attack this problem. ClaudeEK is correct, but eventually you'll want to get rid of the old server, correct? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I did try that the CName... however I get a message ' aduplicate name exist on the network'. I have checked both WINS and DNS and onlt the new entires exist. Any thoughts?

Move the files. I migrated from a Novell 4 network to W2K server. What you need to do is easy in comparison. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

One more tip: implement DFS. It won't help a bit on your current problem, but it would if it were already implemented. This way, next time you have to change servers, it will be trivial, as DFS "virtualizes" the file locations (ie, the server where they reside).

Paulo Meireles

AuburnKnight, You currently have a Host record for the record you are creating a CNAME(alias) for. Once you have moved the files to the new server, remove all references to the old server from DNS, basically the A(host) record. You will need to take the old server off the network as well.
Now create the CNAME(alias) record with the name of the old server and point it to the new server's A record.
You won't get the "a duplicate name exists on the network' error should these steps be done right.

Claudius (What certifications??)

I think this problem can be solved differently...
In particular you could have some problems connecting to share on a windows 2000 based server with an alias name.

"optionalnames" registry key can be used to create machine alias.
it is in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters

next it's possibile use for example:
\\SERVER1 (real name)
\\SERVER2 (optional name to the same server)

when a client computer connects to a windows 2000 based server by using an alias name, the client may receive the following error:

"System error 52 has occurred
A duplicate name exists on the network"

microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem.

to solve start registry editor and edit the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters
DISABLESTRICTNAMECHECKING
REG_DWORD
Value: 1

more information at: Microsoft Knoledge Base Article - 281308

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back