Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can not use CDE when i telnet in

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorie18

Technical User
Mar 4, 2001
CA
I am new guy, when I telnet in my account, I can not see the CDE window, But it display automaticaly when i login locally. could someone show me how start CDE when i telnet in?
thanks

Lorie,

First stage would be to make sure you have an X Windows environment on your PC.

Second to make sure that the $DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly.

your.pc.com:0

Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Thanks Mike,
Ops, There is no X windows in my PC. Would you tell me what's the name of the X win I can use in the PC and where I can find them?
Thank you again.
lorie

What you need is a X-terminal emulation program running on your PC like Hummingbird Exceed. Your PC can then run the GUI interface to your Solaris Server.

...or, if your company has the budget, investigate Citrix Metaframe for UNIX operating systems.

You get far lower bandwidth usage, a more flexible front end - and up to 20 users can get a GUI connection to the Solaris server simultaneously out of the box. More connections can be added to this.

You can then have the CDE desktop on just about any device on the network, or you can publish individual applications rather than the entire desktop.

Also, you can also connect to this session remotely over a low bandwidth connection.

Good Luck!

Thanks Mike, I can use it now.
Also thanks CitrixEngineer, unfortuntely, I am still finding job now. So I have no buddget.:-(

Citrix will hate me for this, but have you tried Graphon's Bridges product?

It's much slower and clunkier than MetaFrame for UNIX, but you can run it on Linux - which you can't run MFU on.

This means you can also use KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, etc.

Oh, and you can trial it free.

HTH :)

Thank you CitrixEngineer, you are so warm.
I'd like to try it.
Btw, I just got an offer for UNIX system administrator. But I am not make the decision yet. cause the company want my expection of the salary. But I have no idea about the it.
It's a about 25 Sun servers and maily duty is data backup.
Do you have any suggestions.
thanks
lorie

take the money and run! :)

seriously :)

have you done unix administration before? have you worked with sendmail (and other possible tools) do you know which version of Unix they use?

will they give you training, or a training budget, plus an aquisition budget?
Mine don't i have to beg for everything, or get sales to buy it on their credit cards, noone ever looks at those :)

you have to do

for csh and tcsh
set DISPLAY=(ip address of your comp):0.0

or

for other shells
DISPLAY=(ip address of your comp):0.0
export DISPLAY

this is teaches you how to set your display variable.

and you need a xwindow software to do it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back