Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not turn on my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

lehuong

Programmer
Sep 2, 2003
US
Hi all,
I have a problem with my pc. I turned the pc on but I can not see anything on the monitor. I thought the graphic card or the monitor have problems so I changed the monitor then the graphic card but nothing have happened, I still have this problem (nothing on the monitor "no system"). So I took the pc aparts and reassempled it. Now I have this problem, when I turned the on the pc power on and turned the pc on what see is the motherboard's light on, the fans turned for a couple circles and then stopped. Then nothing happen at all, the motherboard's light still on. Anyone have any suggestion? Hope you guys can help me :)
Thanks
Howard

Have you mounted the motherboard on copper pins ? If not than it might be short cirquiting with the pc case. Also check if the videocard you are using is ok for the motherboard. If you have a AGP 1 card then you can not use it on a motherboard that supports AGP 4 or above. It uses a different voltage. Your motherboard is probably protected against this so it won't start up.

HI Kocky,
what do you mean by "Have you mounted the motherboard on copper pins ? If not than it might be short cirquiting with the pc case." Please give me more details from this sentence.
Thanks
Howard

He means that underneath the motherboard are copper supporting pins that look similar to the holding pins on the back of your graphic card. The screws that hold the motherboard in screw into these pins, keeping the motherboard away from the bottom of your case.

You will probably have a combination of these and plastic support posts which sit in holes in the motherboard doing the same job.

Have you tried a different power supply known to be working? It sounds like yours has gone toes up and may have taken you motherboard with it.

Thanks CHID, Kocky and techgeezer.
Well, any way the pc still has problem. i can turn the pc on, the fans were running good but my monitor shows "No System". I did not see the light on the keyboard and the screen has nothing. Anyone has any idea about this? Does my motherboard have problem or my graphic card? cuz I changed the graphic card but nothing change at all. How about the cpu?
Thanks
Howard,

To get more help/suggestions in the forum you should post all your specs about you computer.
OS...
Motherboard type..
Bios rev..
HDD type..
Video card type..
Monitor type..
Other components..

I had a similar problem and when i removed the modem from the computer it started right up. You could always remove all the extras (CD Rom drives, etc) and see if it starts up. Does it give you any Beeps when it attempts to start?

Hi Tizigman,
No beeps all. All I see is light is on, fans are on. CDRom drive can open and close, but there is nothing on the screen.
cpu: p4 2.4 ghz
motherboard: Soyo Dragon Ultra
ddram: 1024 Mb
Thanks
Lehuong

Hold the phone!! You are using a P4 Intel Processor in a Soyo Ultra Dragon motherboard? You really do have a problem. The Ultra Dragon is a Socket-A motherboard and only supports the AMD processor.

Hi all,
But I have bought the combo from the FRY's ELECTRONIC and they told me that it suppose work. So they're cheating on me??? I think so then. Cuz I found that my motherboard is burned out... :( but lucky I have it on 12/14/2002 so it still under 1 year warranty I am sending it back to the Soyo Inc. hope that they change to a new. Anyway, I appreciate for your help. Thank you all....
Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back