Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN NOT SIGN IN THE SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

at51178

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hey Guys

I have a home network between two computers one server and one client pc the server is running winadvan2000 and client is running xp professional. I have an active directory set up on the server and I have been signing in for months on the server through the client pc but for some reason or another I Now can not sign in I receive an error message stating that My Domain controller is either down or unavailable and that my useraccount may be disable or does not exist.

Well I know that my user acct does exist because I am acble to sign in to the server when I go to the server but from the client I can not. I am able to sign into the client by signing in locally to that client pc and I am able to go to network connections and see my domain and go into the domain and see the files on the server.

I had the same problem a few weeks ealier but I realized that my client's dns wasn't pointing to my server's dns but this time I did check everything and everything is the way it was. can someone help me in this matter.

Make sure the computer account has not been disable for any reason.

I am sure that it is not disabled I am still able to sign from the server but not from the client.

sounds like you have a netorking problem, sign onto the server, and see if you can view any shared directories on the client. i dont think that the two computers can see each other. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

If you are sharing a broadband or dsl connection they may have chnaged their setup and this may result in your problem. Many of isp providers are trying to discourage any server activity on their networks. If you have dns configured, make sure you have deleted the root "." and have enabled forwarding. You may have to use static addressing on your clients even if there is a dhcp server present other than you win adv server. Setup your clients to point to your server's address. If you're not comfortable with fiddling with dns lookup zones then point your clients to your server as the primary dns server and add your isp's dns addresses as secondary ones on your client cnnections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back