Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not see server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopsy666

Technical User
Mar 11, 2005
GB
Hi All,

I have recently created a server on seperate subnet through a cisco router. I can ping the Server o.k. but i can not browse to it through network neighbourhood, hence sophos's savadmin does not pick it up.

Any one have any ideas why the workgroup does not show up. Do routers, need configuring to route WINS Info? DNS is set up on the server correctly hence the ping sucess i guess.

Regards

Did you "Browse" by NAME or IP address ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

It could be a firewall or router issue. Ping uses an ICMP packet that a lot of firewalls are configured to let pass, even if they don't allow TCP or UDP traffic. Only your network admin will know for sure.

Are you sure your router has been configured to route that protocol? I'm not as familiar with Windows protocols, but I do know that some protocols don't route between subnets.

Thanks for the reply guys.

There is another subnet hanging of the same router and i can browse to those. when i say browse i mean through WINS (presuming network neighbourhood still uses the WINS protocol) i can ping the culprit server fine.
On the router can each interface be configured to allow or disallow protocols, or is this a universal setting on the router.
Sadly there is no network admin here that is aware of the router confugration when it was first put in. I think it may have something to do with the fact they are in different domains maybe??

When viewing PCs in your workgroup/ domain in Network Neighborhood or My Network Places, Windows uses Netbios as the protocol. Netbios is a non-routable protocol therefore your Cisco router will not be able to route the traffic. You should still be able to browse to the server by using the network path to the servers IP address ie. \\192.168.0.1\c from Start - Run.

Cisco routers use Access Control Lists which are applied on an individual interface basis and provide a filter by which you can permit or deny traffic based on source and protocol (Standard ACLs) or source, destination, protocol and port (Extended ACLs).

If you can telnet onto the router you can issue a "show running-config" from the priveleged exec mode (indicated by a # prompt) look for the lines "ip access-group <numer> in/out" - this will tell you which ACLs are mapped to which interfaces. Pressing the space bar to scroll down will then display each ACL and the statements that are applied to them

Hope this helps

Jim CCNA (CCNP on its way!!)

hmm,

Thanks all, i couldnt see an access group on the router, so i presume none is set. But what i have noticed is that we have a hell of a lot of braodcasts on UDP 137/138 for name resolution. we have two wins servers, that appear to be working o.k but we do seem to get a lot of Broadcasts from machines that should be picking up from wins.

The node settings are hybrid. so should broadcast only as a last resort.
Any ideas what may be going on, i do get one strange piece of information on the servers that may be relevant in the event viewer.

"WINS could not get the time interval from a Pull record."

and a similar error earlier yesterday in regards to the retry interval cold not be read???

Microsoft began using Netbios over TCP (NBT) to resolve the issue of NetBios not being routable. WINS uses NBT and is therefore routable across a router.

However how a client PC resolves another client PC's name follows a distinct set of steps:

1. Check Netbios name cache.
2. Check WINS
3. Netbios broadcast (this could be the traffic you're seeing on UDP 137 and 138)
4. Check LMHOSTS file
5. Check Host file
6. Check DNS server

When you say you can ping the server fine, is this when you ping it by its computer name only? If so, then name resolution is working using one of the methods outlined above.

What happens if you try connecting to the remote server using a \\computername\c$ from the run prompt?

I think there is some confusion between how the Browser service works in Network Neighbourhood and WINS. They are completely independent of each other. I managed to find the following URl that explains this further:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back