Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not see pcs on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjcrist

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2006
I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question but im going to ask anyways, sorry if I am on the wrong forum.

I have a home network with 3 computers. I have having problems sharing a network printer. I have tracked the issue down to what I think is the problem. The computer up stairs is using wifi to be on the network. My pc (wired connection) can see that pc and access the files, but the pc up stairs can not see the pc down stairs. I have a third pc( wired connection) which can see the pc up stairs and the pc up stairs can see the third pc they can both access each others files. So the problem I’m having is that 2 computers can see each other but not my pc, and my pc can see everyone. The other 2 pcs just can’t see my pc, and that’s why I think I can’t share my printer. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

All pcs are using win xp pro, and all pcs can access the internet

Hello, I have this exact problem too. I'm quite surprised that there's someone else with the exact same problem. I have two computers: "One" and "Two".

A few days ago, I picked up a virus on "One" by an AIM message. Something like, "hey can i use this picture of us on my facebook, blog, myspace, etc". I've identified it as various different names - OscarBot, HackerDefender trojan, Print Spooler Service (SpoolSvc209), Bobax worm, and simply the "AIM Facebook/Myspace virus".

Since I had this virus, I've been having the same network problems. I believe I got rid of it by using Ewido and AIMFix (this virus is not detected by Windows Defender). It no longer shows in HijackThis. However, I still have the network problems.

I have this same message "Logon Failure User has not been granted the requested logon type" when I try to access the computer "One" from the computer "Two". However, "One" can access both itself and "Two". I "fixed" this by changing the Local Security Policy settings on "One" - "Access this computer over the network" to include the default values (Administrators, Everyone, Power Users, Users, Backup Operators) from a blank value. I believe the virus changed it to have a blank value.

When I retry accessing "One" from "Two", I now get the message "Access Denied". I'm stuck on this part.

To add on to it, similarly to the original poster, the value that I changed in the Local Security Policy settings seem to revert back to a blank value. The icons of some of the options on the security policy tree (including the ones of the value that I edited) have locks on them. I haven't figured out how to "unlock" the values (I believe that's what is causing the value to revert)

Again, like the original poster, Windows Firewall is disabled, and was when I got this. I don't have a third-party firewall, either (mistake on my part). However, my settings for it are also grayed out and say that they are being controlled by Group Policy. However, all of the Windows Firewall-related settings in Group Policy are set to "Not Configured" already.

This thread will link you to Rootkits and the like, it might be worth checking for similar infections with the mentioned programs.

Windows Live Messenger Rootkit?
thread779-1266063

Did you try the Winsock fix mentioned in here?
WinXP Connectivity Issues
FAQ779-4625

I did not read all the replys to this thread (my laptop battery is beeping) but read entirely the thread starter so I am going to list a coupla things that will create errors when tring to access a computer from within a LAN. Maybe some of this things will be redundancies with something already mentioned above

in 80 percent of the cases one (or more) of this things will solve LAN problems:

1. Resetting modem and or router

2. Drives and or Folders MUST be shared on the machine you are trying to access

3. Enable Simple File Sharing (files are shared for everyone or nobody at all). Go to My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab (all the way at the bottom of that list)

4. Ipconfig /release and then .../renew

5. Disable any kind of firewall including Windows or Norton Internet Security or any other software that does any kind of active/live monitoring like spyware etc.

6. "Disconnect" and remap shared drive and/or folders

7. Run Network Wizard (and make sure you disable the firewall it puts on your system)

8. Assign a static ip address to that computer in accordance with the address of your router (i.e. if your router address is 192.168.1.1, assign 192.168.1.(last octet number 2 through 50). Try to ping the (static) ip address you have assigned to that computer.

9. In Start -> Run type "ipconfig /all" to confirm ip address and check any anomalies in the other settings

10. Try to access the unwilling computer by typeing in Run: \\192.168.1.11 or watever address you have assigned to your computer

11. Enable NetBios over TCP/IP (go to TCP/IP Protocol -> Properties -> Advanceb button -> WINS tab

12. In RUN: services.msc, highlight Computer Browser, hit Start

13. Make sure your stubbern computer has a name of 15 characters or less

14. In the Command Prompt black screen type "net view" check if you see the name of the stubbern computer

15. Temporarily disable DNS Client service

16. Uninstall Network adapter, restart the computer have it find the new hardware and re-install the adapter.

This is a list of things that got me out of trouble more than once and I have made notes, IT IS NOT a sequence of instructions, any of this tips should be used individualy since sometimes altering more than one thing at a time without keeping carefull track of the mods you have made to your system can and will complicate matters.If you do not understand ANY of this ask for help and I will get back to you ASAP

Hello.

I successfully removed the virus (AIMFix hadn't removed it).

I'm still having problems with "Login failed"/"Access denied", etc. The part of the local security settings that contains "Access this computer from the network" is still locked off.

Under System Properties/ Remote, is there anything set there that might be inferring with your connection?

bcastner, when I use that command to reset settings, it now asks me for the password of the computer's guest account when trying to access it.

Andy Manchesta helped me remove the malware through an email conversation. We located the infected files and I simply deleted them.

linney, no.

The Guest user should not have a password under Windows networking with Simple File Sharing enabled.

You can remove the guest user if you choose, but do not give it a password.

It does not have a password. That's the problem. If it actually did have a password, I wouldn't be so confused.

The just hit Enter to indicate a blank password.
What you have is a mixed setting:

One XP with SImple File Sharing enabled can authenticate only through the Guest account on remote machines;

One XP configured with Simple File Sharing disabled, and local policy for authentication set to Classic - Users authenticate as themselves.

bcastner, I have tried that. It does not work.

And I believe both machines have Simple File Sharing enabled.

Did you ever run through the "Windows XP and Windows 2003
Network Problem Solver"
Hans-Georg Michna went to a lot of trouble to create it and it might throw up a few clues?

And what about the Winsock fix in FAQ779-4625

This thread reminds of several similar type topics where the final solution was a format and clean install of the computer causing the most problems. I hope that is not the outcome here.

So did anyone ever solve this problem ? seem to happen after Aimfix is run on a workstation

I try with those group policy on this pc and it never works also my laptop had no group policy appears on windows firewall.... but this pc is controlled by group policy.. and i give up and restalling new windows then the network sharing is working fine and window firewall is on and no group policy there yet... couple of hour later on while installing many program on it then shock myself it start getting problem saying control by group policy on windows firewall .. so i m taking each steps on each install of each program see which is affecting tormmow ok then i will post up here if i got time ok cheers

You may have malware. Smitfraud is at least one malware that will change access rights to the XP Firewall.

[li] Right click this link, Save Targe as, and download sharedaccess.txt: [/li]
[li] Rename this file to sharedaccess.reg[/li]
[li] Double click to merge with your registry.[/li]

Reboot.
[li] Start, Run, cmd[/li]
netsh firewall reset
[li] Now try to set your firewall settings again.[/li]

Now you have to deal with your malware infection. Ask the folks here: forum760

Tell them you believe you have Vundo and/or Smitfraud, and refer them to this discussion.

got it!!! resinstalling windows again and keeping checking... install msn messneger ok, install graphic card - NVIDIA driver and Nero 7 Premium the problem begins!! group poicy is back when i install those 2 program anyone sugguest the same???

A repair installation on a malware infected machine is not going to work without issue for very long.

Nearly as soon as you start Internet Explorer you are going to become reinfected with what is on your computer.

Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your Desktop.
Extract all the files to your Destop. A folder named SmitfraudFix will be created on your Desktop.

Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press Enter
This program will scan large amounts of files on your computer for known patterns so please be patient while it works. When it is done, the results of the scan will be displayed and it will create a log named rapport.txt in the root of your drive, eg: Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed.
Then select option #2 - Clean.

Post the log file rapport.txt back to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back