Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not see machines in Network Neighborhood??

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomes1

Technical User
May 12, 2005
US
I have a strange problem, I just setup a 2003 server to act as a domain controller and DNS Server in a small network about 10 clients. Well everything works fine except looking at the machines in Network Neighborhood?? I can see them if i do a start run \\machinename ?? When I do go into Net Neighborhood I see the domain and when I click on it it pauses and then gives me an error "Domain is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

Are you trying to view them in Network Neighborhood from the 2003 server, or one of the clients?

If you have a firewall running, try turning it off and see if it works then. If it does, it's obviously a firewall configuration issue.

Do you have FPS (file & print sharing) enabled? If not, try that, not sure if you need that though for what you're doing.

Let us know if any of those work or not.

And oh, I forgot to ask in my previous post, if you go to the DNS management on the server do you see the clients?

And what are your clients? XP Pro SP2 or what? 98, 2000, etc...

I have the same problem. It happend afer I set up routing / NAT on server 2003. Everithing works fine except I can't browse network neiborhood. I noticed that when I don't log on to domain, I can browse network, so I think it it probably something in domain settings.

Have you recently setup a new NIC card on the server or how many cards does your server have?

Right now I am still having the same exact problem except mine happened as soon as I installed a secondary NIC card on the server to balance the load. Once I disabled the new card, my network seems to be working normally again. I just posted a thread on this issue because I was wondering if anyone knows the solution to this.

Well here i go, i got the same problem i follow the tutorial from microsoft:

The only thing i dont setup was the DHCP because my old DC Win NT 4 Server still do that job this will not be for long two more weeks because i will use static IP address.

finish all the tutorial and reboot my server, them:

*I test we 3 new computers running XP Profesional SP2 with all the patches available from saler.
*My new DC has the IP 192.168.2.2 here we have the DNS
with IP 192.168.2.2 first and 127.0.0.1 second.
*Change the name of the 3 PCs first
*add the new DNS IP 192.168.2.2
*They receive the IP from DHCP Win NT 4
*Add to new Domain and receive the "Welcome Message"
*Restar my clients
*Log-in
*Check my DNS and found my clients IP
*I disable NetBIos over TCP/IP because give errors
*I dont have any WINS on the DC i dont know if i need it really
*I can ping my new DC and the DC can ping clients
*If i browse the Network i only see my Domain Name but dosent see any client with the DC the same i dont see the clients.
*If i run net view i dont get any list on both systems
*I play with the options on the clients TCP/IP protocol
*I dont think that the DHCP server can give problems because i assing one static IP to one client and still the same problem
*I made one share folder on one client, went add wich users could access this share point the DC give me back all the users from the domain, them he anwser my call
* I reboot the system couple of time, only went i made some changes in it, but same problem
*if i execute ping MYDC.local from clients the system respond with the IP of the DC, them the DNS is working, i thing...[ponder]
*On the clients i disable the File Printer Shared, but i will enable tomorrow and see what happend, but i remenber that wasent on all clients.
*Some times went i was trying to expand the DC on the browser give the message that i dont aut to access, i dont get it...[ponder]
* I test with one user i create and the Administrator user on the clients.

Some thing more that i forget to do...? This is my first time that i setup one DC, we didnt chose to upgrade from the old NT 4 because is to corrup, this why we decide to start from scratch.

Server: win2k3 Std Edi all the patches from saler
Running: AD, DNS
IP:192.168.2.2
Clients: win xp Pro all the patches from saler

This new DC will only run XP and Win 2k, i follow all the tutorial.

Thanks in advanced [sleeping2]

Firwall problem thank you for the input

Symantec Internet security was causing the problem, as soon as I ran the network wizard it fixed the issue ,,for nubu did you configure the second nic to look at your DNS Server, I know I had also had to setup the nics in the clients to manually point to my internal DNS to be able to ad them to the domain or browse Network Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back