Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not reinstall Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
Hi folks,

last year i made up a budget system for a friend comprising motherboard ASRock K7S41GX, Athlon XP2000 and Windows XP professional..

The system worked straight away with no problems. However due to th efriend 'playing' with it (including loading SP2- but dont know if this is relevant) the system recently refused to load windows. I decided to reload the operating system. However i was not able to do so, as after going through the windows set up process I get to a screen which says Setup is starting Windows, and the PC just stays like that.

i have put the drive into my PC and using the same windows disc, it loads windows XP perfectly. therfore there is no problem with either the drive or my windows disc.

However if i put that drive in my friends PC it will not start up. i have also tried putting a formatted drive in the friends PC and i am still getting the same problem.

It would seem that there is some kind of conflict between the m'board and the ability for windows XP to load successfully - although there was no problem before. Not heard of this before

Any suggestions warmly welcomed

Thank you

Jim

To jimsav for highlighting a solution
Wolluf for removing the trees
Garabo for his witty thank you
Problem not loading XP = ATI graphics card
Even when the onboard graphics are disabled and windows loads through the pci graphics card you get conflict.
Solution
Remove graphics card
Reboot to set up
enable on board graphic and set to AGP
Load Windows.
load motherboard drivers including graphics windows will look for a driver even when disabled in bios.
Reboot to setup
Disable on board graphics and set to primary to PCI
Change monitor to PCI card
Rebbot to windows
Disable SIS adaptor in system hardware manager.
All will now function.
Reference to Loading XP copy from another machine. Given that XP is so fickle with hardware:- who wants to spend £150 on it when it may never load on your system. You dont get your money back if it does not. Where did all this digital signing come from anyway. Try before you buy would be nice 30 day trial.

Now that i think of it, i had the same problem, forgot about it. I was installing xp pro and it wouldnt install. I changed the pci ATI card for another, older vid card and it worked. When up and running, i installed the original vid card.

The idea that one version of win xp knows its installed on another computer is simply not true.
But i can see it coming. Something like a special dye with special coding that knows one install has gone thru and it somehow retains memory of the mobo and other parts.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back