Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can not open file

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscapeUK

Programmer
Jul 7, 2000
GB
Outlook

Why is it that sometimes I can not open some of my emails. When I double click on a message to ope it I get the follwong error message.

"Cannot open this item"

Sometimes if I leave it for a while I find I can open them. Other times it does not go away.

Seems to be no pattern, apart from it only happens with attachments. But not all attatchments.

ta

I've been reading about Microsoft's recent "Security Update" lately. They list it as a "Critical update" even though it wreaks havoc with e-mail attachments in Outlook. Was that update installed?

Have you detected a pattern as to what kind of attachments are affected?
For Example: Files with executable extensions (.EXE, .BAT, .COM) have problems and files with data extensions (.TXT, .DAT) do not.

Forget opening them in Outlook. Select the attachment and check properties (right click) to see what kind of file it is. Save to your drive. Open the application you need to view the file, then do a file - open to find and open the file.
If the file was created with an application that you don't have, you will have to try a like application and convert the file. Example - converting a WordPerfect file to MS Word. It just depends on what kind of file it is to know
if and how you can view it.
Also, if you get executable attachments (.exe, .bat, etc) and you don't know exactly what they are or from whom, DON'T run it. Delete it immediately. That is the most common method to introduce a virus to your system.
If you let me know of a problem you are having with a specific file, I will give you more detailed instructions.

Thank You
Lisa Merchant
L&M Computer Services
l-mcomputer@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back