Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not move icons, copy or paste folders or icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eti

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
US
We can not move icons or cut and paste folders or icons on a station serving as a information share. However when accessing this same station from another station we CAN cut and paste and move folders and icons within the information sharing station.

Icons can not be moved on the desktop and auto arrange is not checked!

This is a corrupt IE problem. Reinstall your current version of IE and this should resolve the problem. I have had this a few times before on different PCs and 66% of the PCs worked with a reinstall of IE. Klae

You're only as good as your last answer!

The Windows version is W95.

Reinstalling IE did not work. Still the same problem.

If you've tried turning off Auto Arrange, try this. I pass this on without testing from an internet site, so I cannot verify the accuracy.

Cannot drag icons cannot move icons on desktop or in folders. First, remove every instance of programs that seem to use the desktop, for screen saver or anything remotely close. Re-install windows, and replace all the files with the original files. Remove ShellIconCache directory in safe mode, and add the string value "Max Cached Icons" with value data "500" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer (do not add the quotation marks)

I wonder whether it's worth trying from Remove ShellIconCache onwards before doing the whole thing.

Good luck.

Paulwood et al,
First I can believe the timeliness of this thread.Thankyou. I was just having the problem for the second time (different machines) and only this time recognized the scope of the problem. Anyway I did try the solution statrting with "Remove ShellIconCache" and it worked great. On the second reboot a new ShellIconCache was created and subsequent boots were very snappy to load. Not fully understanding the ramifications of what happened here, both to precipitate the problem and then the fix, I wonder if the registry edit was necessary at all? Can you give any other info about what caused the problem and how the fix works? Thanks again.
How did eti make out on this?

OK, guess time! I think probably what happened was that the ShellIconCache file got corrupted. It seems to contain info on the icons, etc. that populate the shell (normally Windows Explorer). It gets corrupted, Windows doesn't know what to show!

I'd be inclined to wonder about the registry hack also, but maybe the default number of Icons allowed is too small, in certain circumstances. Could be that the corruption occurs when the limit is exceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back