Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not log on through linksys router, Crazy888s, help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhilla

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2003
MX
Hi gang. Crazy888s, I know you might have the answer for this having read your threads and having just worked through it your self. I have a linksys BEFSR81 router linking a peer network of 8 machines. 1 XP pro machine contains all of our data and I would like to be able to access it from home.

I have enabled WAN access and forwarded port 3389 (hopefully correctly) on the router. I have enabled the XP machine at the office for remote access. When I start RDC on the home xp I type in the WAN Ip for the router:3389 in the computer name box, the user name (seemingly arbitrary because my linksys does not need it to log on) and the password for the router. I leave the domain blank.

Everytime, I get the "log into windows" screen and it attempts to connect. Then I get the "System could not log you on, make sure user name and domain name are correct . . .etc." I don't know what else to type into the box because our machines to not require password access or log on. Everyone can access everyone elses stuff freely on our LAN. Are there settings I am missing on my office XP I am trying to access? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Muhilla

Muhilla, it's looking for a Windows password, not the router password.

When you set up WinXP, you had to create a password at some point -- it's either blank or something else! Try <administrator> with no password, for example.

If still no luck, you'll need to hunt around on the XP machine (Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts.

Thanks JPM121 for responding! Right on the money! I got in with no problem. Is there any way to tranfer a document from my office computer to my home, or am I only able to work &quot;on&quot; the office computer and not pull anything off?
Muhilla

Sure, when you start the RD client software, select Options, Local Resources tab, under Local Devices select Disk Drives. Now when you connect, you will see your local drives as well as the remote drives in the remote My Computer. Just drag and drop like you would normally.

Thanks Smah for the response. In my focus to try and get remote access working I forgot about all those other items in the option tab. I'll click the drives option and give it a shot.

Also, when I was on the remote computer it's anti-virus said it detected a potentially malicious script running. Do you think that could have been because of the RD client software or that I was somehow followed in? I stopped the script and it seemed to have no effect.
Muhilla

What was the script that was running? I've used RD with several different antivirus solutions and no AV software ever reacted. Better run an updated virus scan on both computers. You can use a couple of these faq760-3862

Thanks again for responding Smah. I can´t keep starring your responses because it starts to look silly having a bunch of stars next to the post.

Yeah, I was so surprised by the warning that I just stopped the script without writing it down. If it comes up again I´ll let you know. I ran the most updated definitons of McAfee on both systems and they were both clean. I hope I don´t need to post again to report the script. I greatly appreciate your input.
Muhilla

Hi - I am having this problem as well, except that I am an amateur home user (with enough computer knowledge to be dangerous...). A cousin of mine set up XP Pro on my laptop, I'm afraid I don't even know what a domain is. I do know how to follow instructions, though, and would appreciate it if you would post more detailed ones for me. Thanks!

This thread is 2 months old so, exactly what problem? - an antivirus detection?

If you're just using the computer for home use, you're not on a domain. What info are you after? Trying to use RD from somewhere else to you laptop at home? The biggest problem people run into is a firewall.

Thank you for responding so quickly - this is about the letter above that is about a logon notice: &quot;System could not log you on, make sure user name and domain name are correct . . .etc.&quot;

One day after installing the automatic updates for XPP, autologon ceased to work and the system asked me logon the old fashioned way. The logon screen came up with my name already there, the password place was blank, so I just clicked &quot;ok&quot; and then I could get on with my work. But I prefer the autologon, so I went to some tech sites, tried various regedit's, and now I get: &quot;System could not log you on, make sure user name and domain name are correct . . .etc.&quot; Now what?

Lord only knows what kind of mess I've made this time on my computer, but I'd really appreciate some help getting out of it....TGM

Trying to access Remote Desktop, you get that message?

Or just trying to log onto Windows locally?

Oh, ok. This thread was actually about using Remote Destop.

Anyway... Start in safe mode by pressing F8 when your computer starts. Log on as Administrator and reset the user password. More details (and how to set windows to logon automatically) can be found by using the Keyword search function in the Windows XP Pro forum forum779.

Worked like a charm - the resetting of the password and the help from the forum - thanks. I know this is a site for pros - I appreciate you taking the time for me. I've been asking people for weeks and no one came up with a solution, much less such an easy one. I had never used the safe boot before, so this has been a great experience - thank you. TGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back