Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not link to printer on xp machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRowland

Programmer
May 23, 2001
US
I have shared the printer that is hardwired to my xp desktop. Now I am trying to access the printer with my laptop using vista. I can see the printer on the net, but when I try to add it to the laptop printer list, and get the rude message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied."
I can access shared desktop files on the laptop, just not the printer.
Anyone have a really great solution to the problem?

Dick

|========================|
I sure wish there was a way
to receive the best teaching, [smarty]
without having to go through
some of the worst experiences![ponder]

What permissions are set for the printer on the XP machine (and is this XP Home or Pro)?

I marked it to be shared as "home printer" using the XP programs to share a printer. It shows up on the laptop as a shared printer.

Dick

I don't have the printer drivers installed to the laptop! It's amazing what a new fresh set of eyes, ears and brains can do with a hopeless situation!
I will try that ASAP.

Dick

Well, After lots of work, and frustration, it STILL WON'T CONNECT TO THE PRINTER!! I can connect to all kinds of files on the desktop, but just not the printer. I keep getting the error that the connection is being refused.
I keep thinking there must be some security setting that is stopping me. I have McAfee on the laptop, set to allow,(I think) to connect to network printer. I have Norton on the desktop, (disabled) and I have the firewall on the desktop disabled. But still can't connect.
ANd yes, I do have the printer driver loaded into the laptop.
I know there is some simple thing I have missed, but I just cen't findit..
HELP!!!

Dick

Lots of people call me MrFixit.
Right now I feel like MrJinxit.

are you running a firewall, i.e. ZA will block access unless you place it in the Trusted Zone.

Disabling the firewall that is on the machine with the shared printer may not be enough to stop it interfering with access. There are probably settings in the Registry or elsewhere that are still in control of access even if the firewall is disabled. For testing the problem you should uninstall the firewall or double check that it is allowing the proper access to your shared printer.

Go to the site for your printer manufactuer and download the newest drivers for your make and model printer. Uninstall the the printer then try reinstalling it. Vista should then take a fresh look at the connection request.

Tim

eyec and linney... The firewall is down,, and all security, spam, virus protection and whatever else I could find has been disabled.
I just don't understand why I can explore all over the shared files in the remote machine, but can not set up the printer. It is set as shared also.
I also check to be sure the screensaver and power saver functions have not kicked in on the the remote unit.
I downloaded the drivers for Vista for the laptop, and installed them, but when I was doing so, it asked to see the printer of course, and I could not findd it.

Dick

From XP if your right-click on the Shared Printer and select Properties, do you have a menu item for Use Printer Offline or Online?

Also are the Share Permissions correct for the Printer?

Have you tried deleting the Printer and recreating it

The printer sharing is set to online. I don't find a place on the sharing page where permissions are set. Printer pooling is turned on.
I have not tried deleting it and reinstalling.

Dick

Try Uninstalling McAfee entirely from the laptop then see if you can connect. I had a wireless printer connection that would not recognize the printer.

I "disabled"( a word that is used to make you think something should stop working) the anti-virus, firewall etc. I could even hook the laptop directly to the printer and it would work fine...I would unplug it from the printer and try it wirelessly with no luck until I just completely removed McAfee, installed the printer then reinstalled McAfee(if you must) and it worked.

Also, some wireless routers are known not to be fully compatible with Vista. Have you check a different router or try updating the firmware in your router. That can be dangerous so make sure you have the info for you router available should you try.

Hope it works.

Tim

The Sharing tab is for just sharing the Printer, the Security tab controls the Permissions. Make sure they are both correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back