Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not install W95

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonohara

Technical User
Mar 26, 2000
GB
I have just inherited a PC which is a mess.&nbsp;&nbsp;Its had W98 deleted (by DELTREE method) and I want to install W95.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I boot the PC I get C:\ prompt but little else, I can not run any dos commands for example.<br><br>Also I can not run setup from the WIN95 CD.&nbsp;&nbsp;The error says &quot;Windows requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 429056 bytes to run&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;There was no startup disk with this machine (Dell Dimension XPS P133s).&nbsp;&nbsp;What can I do?

did you format the drive before trying to install Win95, if you had Win98 chances are you had a FAT32 partition, win95 doesnt support Fat32 (until version C i think) , so make sure you formated the drive as a FAT partition. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

boot from floppy, e.g., win95 startup disk, or DOS.&nbsp;&nbsp;Run Fdisk, choose it will prompt you if you want to enable large disk support, fresh y then choose 4 to view the partition of your HD. If no partition exist, hit esc, choose 1 and create your first partition, reboot then format your C drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;With /s will be okay.<br>&nbsp;install your CD rom DOS driver and you are ready to go.&nbsp;&nbsp;Good Luck!<br><br>Ariel

Ariel is correct.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is very likely that the previous installation of W98 was in FAT 32. So it is advisable to repartition the drive and format with the /s function to reset everything back to FAT 16. I also have inherited many machines that have had odd things done to it and usually the first thing I do is to re-format the harddrives. After you have done that it is also best to have a W98 boot disc with CD ROM support on it for ease of installation. If you dont have one just talk to a good vending technician he'll make one up for you.<br><br>Good luck from the land of the long white cloud. &quot;New Zealand.

I agree with everyone in the respects that you should fdisk, reformat the hard drive and do a clean install of 95.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whether you chose to go with fat16 or fat32 depends only on your hard drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;Windows 95 supports fat32 and fat16.&nbsp;&nbsp;If your HD is less than 2 gb then use fat16, but if your it is larger then use fat32 in order to optimize your space.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem you are having has nothing to do with the fat but with your HD.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is corrupt, either a bad parition, bad sectors or your system files became corrupt or deleted.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only solution is to fdisk and reformat.

Dauphin correction, Only win95C supports FAt32, which is usally hard to come by unless you bought it off the shelf, Win95A and B dont support fat32, or least not A. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Your problem seems to be more of not enough RAM not HD space.<br><br>You cannot buy Windows 95 which supported FAT32 off the shelf because it was only available as OEM version.&nbsp;&nbsp;OSR2 was what most people were calling it.&nbsp;&nbsp;The reason why it was never released as an off the shelf purchase was because it didn't have a FAT32 converter program.<br><br>Thus Windows 98 came out with an upgrade version.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only upgrade version for Windows 95 was the original.<br><br>Gordon

Sorry,&nbsp;&nbsp;that's not enough 640K base RAM.<br><br>Try booting from either a diskette which only has cdrom drivers loading.<br><br>Gordon

I can't install my Windows95 either, But the message that I received is Boot Sector Write! ...I got that error message when I try to run the SETUP when I encountered that error message, my computer freeze and I need to restar all over.<br><br>Thanks Milan

Do you have the CMOS virus checking enabled on your computer???<br><br>Try rewriting a new master boot record.<br><br>fdisk /mbr<br><br><br>Gordon

How can I rewritten the Master Boot Sector...what if I will going to reformat it again, can it be fixed, and what are the other way to resolve it...please help thank you.:)

fdisk /mbr&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;will rewrite it without changing anything else.<br>worst case recovery is fdisk and&nbsp;&nbsp;remove all partitions (which may require deleting drives in extended partition) , then fdisk /mbr in case there is a boot sector virus present, then fdisk and create partitions, then format and add operating system. And if you have a boot sector virus you must use the /mbr, nothing else removes it.<br>And if you really have a boot sector virus , the floppy you are using may be infected also.

Thanks for all the answers that you provide..I will going to do that now...after I run the FDISK/MBR what should I do next...thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back