Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not install Conexant Soft 56k in Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmodem

Technical User
Apr 9, 2003
AU
Hi, I can't install this modem in my Win2K Pro system, it does not auto-detect and I can't force it to install by Add/Remove Hardware. The modem is manufactured by Mac Systems and has a Conexant chip that is labelled:
RS56-PCI
R6793-12
E10848.6
0007 Philipines
There are no other modems present in the system and the modem auto-detects and installs on my WinXP system.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Conexant soft modems in Win2k, must be on Com2, IRQ 3.
MS and the modem mfg have known this for some time, but because of the waning interest in Win2k, have not come up with any workarounds.
I have found that the following usually works:
Boot to safe mode, remove all modems, and com ports, as well as "emulator's" and "Other Devices" in device mangler.
Go into BIOS setup, and disable com 2.
If possible, set the slot the modem is in, to com 2, IRQ 3.
Set "Reset cofiguration data" to YES.
Restart, and reinstall. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks for your reply,
I tried your suggestions but I still couldn't get it to install. It didn't auto-detect after disabling COM 2 so I tried to install it via Add Modem but as COM 2 was already disabled I had to install on COM 1.
When I queried the modem using diagnostics it was unable to communicate with it (Win2k still doesn't really see it I think) In BIOS there is an option for "Modem use IRQ" which is currently set to 3, I have altered this to see if it made any difference but so far it has made none.
Any other ideas?
thanks,
Brett.

It can't communicate with com 1, because com 1 is already used by the system. Because there is no existing com 2, you only get com 1 as the choice. This will never work.
A soft modem (aka winmodem) will take a virtual com port, and in Win2k it must be com 2 (blame MS).
It will install to com 2, if you stop trying to force it, and just run the setup.exe that is the drivers.
In BIOS, disable the "Modem use IRQ". It is pointless, and rarely works.
In 98, one could simply allow PnP to install a soft modem wherever it wanted.
In Win2k, you must run the setup, and not rely on PnP/autodetect to get it working. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks Jim but the guy that I got the modem from offered me a replacement so I have swapped it for one that is less hassle to install(Lucent Winmodem). Thanks for your help though,
Brett

Good choice. The LT modems are much easier to install in Win2k than just about any other winmodem.
Conexant kinda missed the boat on Win2k, and jumped right into XP support from 98.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

ok... gonna try this... seen this question time and time again.. and tried all the answers given... with no luck... so here we go..
I have a Pavilion 6553 pc... with a rockwell hcf pci modem/riptide sound card ...
upgraded to xp from WinME ... now, no matter what driver I try to use.. the modem will not run.. doesn't even try to connect.. just get errors saying the modem isn't setup right.. I've removed and reinstalled several times... but so far, none of the so called winxp drivers for this modem works... due to a lack of any free pci slots... other wise I would simple add another modem.. I need this modem to run... thanks for any help you can give... been working on this for over a month...

It's not a Rockwell. Rockwell make chips, not modems.
It is made by HP, and contains the Rockwell Riptide chipsest.
You MUST get the driver for it from HP, as the generic ones don't work.
Here: Here: Here:
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I had a similiar problem with my HP OmniBook XE2
I Installed Win2k but it did not detect the Soft Modem 56k (ESS modem). I downloaded and installed many drivers with no luck but eventually got the modem to work by installing a new BIOS version and then reinstalling WIN2k and installing HP drivers. The Modem is now working perfect. I got the new BIOS version (2.11) and the HP drivers from this site.
Install the BIOS first,
Next install Win2k and then Install the HP drivers and your modem should now work fine.
If this helps anyone - let us know here
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back