Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can NOT get windows 2000 pro to install 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcbs55

Technical User
Apr 27, 2003
US
trying to do a clean install of win 2kpro. continue to get ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted or missing (no error code). the system has yet to get the start of win2k.
installing on a 80g maxtor. i have tried to use the recovery, only to find out that it gives same error.
using Intel pIII cpu
asus cusl2-c mb w/award bios 6.0 intel 815ep chipset.
matrox g450 graphic card.
any suggestions would be great.

Martin's spot on. I got the following from an NEC tech support engineer.....

"Sometimes the formatting done during install of Win2K doesn't take properly, so if you boot up using a 98 floppy, format the drive to fat32 as normal, reboot the machine and boot from CD. Select the option to leave the file system intact or as is. Once Windows has been installed and is working, you can then user the convert command from a command prompt to change the file system to NTFS."

Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

Did you partition the drive and format it??

Thank You all for the posts!!!!
I have just LLF, partitioned, and formated the HD, again (FAT32).
Next, should i have all hardware installed into the computer
(modem, ethernet,...) before install?
Should I partition the HD into sections? I did 1 partition for full 80g. and set the DMA to mode 4.
Checked media, looks OK.

Checked readme.txt for the Intel 815EP chip for MB. Said certain drivers need to be installed because the chipset does not support win2k. Tried to run .exe files, but got error that app. will run only in windows enviroment.
How, if possible, can i get around this problem or is it even a problem?
Thank You All!!!

I have completed many win2k installs and find it probably the most painless OS to use. I would sugguest installing all hardware insert CD, boot from CD, and just sit back and watch it install. I would leave the drive in 1 state partition although it really depends on what you are using it for, Oh and run checkdisc once OS is installed.

'Tried to run .exe files, but got error that app. will run only in windows enviroment.' do you mean you are trying to start the win2k setup CD, a quick fix if so is use win98 boot disc, boot to dos with cd drivers then on the CD drive cd\i386 and run winnt.exe takes a while to load as its running in slow disc tranfer mode but it works for an install I had this on old systems that wont boot from CD rom.

i hope im not intruding on this forum but im having trouble installing windows 2000 as well but I think my problem is a little unique. When i start my system all i get is a message saying "missing operating system". Before my system crashed i had windows 98se but i decided that i don't want that OS. So i went out and got windows 2000. Now im having a little troube getting windows 2000 to install on to my system. I think i might have to format my hard drive but im not sure how to go about it. Please post if you have any ideas towards helping my problem.

Assuming you have saved any data you want (or don't want to), installing 2k is straightforward.

Set the bios to boot from CD ROM as first boot device (you will need to enter bios settings to do this - hopefully your POST screen tells you which key(s) to press to do this. Commonly Del key - some others here if you've a problem
Now boot from 2k install CD (watch the POST screen as you'll need to hit any key shortly after it starts booting CD or it will just boot to next device).

Once 2k has loaded its drivers etc (and you've agreed to terms) you should be presented with screen where you choose where to install. It should be displaying existing fat32 win98 partition. Use the tools to delete this (hit D key, and answer all warning prompts correctly), the create new partition in the unpartitioned space (hit C key). You can make it fat32 or ntfs.

Now installation will continue - partition will be formatted, files copied, machine will reboot & continue (you will be asked for key and other info like regional settings, administrator password, PC name). After 30-50 mins you should have clean install of 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back