Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not find tree or server 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtgren

MIS
Jan 31, 2003
US
I am using a Windows 2000 professional PC. I have just installed the client 4.9 for Windows 2000 off of the Novell website. I can not log into the novell server. The login message tells me that "it can not find the tree or server and to please enter try another." When I go to Network Neighborhood I can not see a tree or server also. I am though able to connect to the internet with server therefore the cable and NIC is working. I am using a static IP address. The server is Novell 5.1 What could be the problem? Is there a setting in Networking properties that I am missing?

Hi

Check your DNS is working OK !
The client users DNS to find the IP of the Tree and Server so if they are not setup correctly than they cannot be found. Ping "Server Name" and see.

Regards

David

In the advanced settings of the client, in the server field type the IP Address of one of your servers in there. See if you can log in then.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Both good advice. You will need to amke sure your server is listed in DNS though. The probable reason you are having this problem is that you did not install the IPX portion of the client. With IPX installed it will find the server. But, you don't need it if the server and tree have DNS entries.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

It has been a while since I used Novell. I installed the IPX protocol through the networking settings. Therefore I used the Microsoft version. Doesn't Novell have a version and what is the be way to install? or just stick with the Novell version?

The IPX protocol does not have a Novell or a Microsoft version to speak of, it is generic on whatever operating system you use. When we say you have to have IPX installed, just install the standard IPX protocol. You can then configure the Novell Client to use the IPX protocol to communicate with. Of course, if you are on an IP only network, installing IPX will not work.

"It's true, its damn true!"

I have found that client 4.9 installs IP only by default and version 4.83 is IP and IPX by default. So if you install version 4.9 on a fresh install its IP only and fails to see trees and such that are being advertised via IPX. So when installing 4.9 be sure and do a custom install and pick IP and IPX.

Thats what I thought. IPX is being phased out.

Jon

Thanks everyone, you guys were correct. I had to go back and install the 4.9 client with IP and IPX. One more quick question if I a sitting at a 5.0 Novell server how do I find out its IP address? Thanks!

HI

Just type "config" at the console screen and it will give you details.

David

While putting the entry in the hosts file works, the best way is to have a DNS entry on your DNS server. That way if anything changes all you have to do is make one change instead of touching all the PC's.

Jon

Had the same problem with 4.9 with w2k and xp. Went back to 4.83, sp3, sp2e. Works like a champ.

To find its IP address type ipconfig at the command prompt.
To get more info. type in 'ipconfig /all|more'.
(For the vertical character between the word 'all' and the word 'more' press shift+backward slash button.)

I would like to make a few comments on previous replies...

There are SEVERAL options for configuring a PURE IP network. By Pure IP, I mean, without IPX in the mix. Some options are better than others.

- to BSAIDA -- While you can in fact use a host file to define the server, this requires manual configuration of each workstation. This essentially creates one more thing on the workstation that has to be managed. In large networks, this can be extremely painful. Yes, the host file can be pushed out via login script or zen, but still it's not the cleanest way to go.

- to BSAIDA again -- Furthermore, I see a lot of people that are still using a "Preferred Server" instead of logging into the tree and letting eDirectory handle things. When I configure a network, I leave the server field blank, and only configure the tree and context. This way if the main server changes or dies, you won't have to go reconfigure every client with a new preferred server. It is much more likely that the tree will remain constant, while servers will come and go.

-- A note about the "SERVER" or "Preferred Server" option on the client-- this goes way back to NetWare 3.x before NDS was around. Back then, it was necessary to put in the name of the server you wanted to login to. But now, with NDS, this is not necessary. Instead, you login to the tree and let NDS manage things. A lot of people still use the SERVER option and don't realize it's not necessary in most cases (if configured properly)

-- David - About DNS.. Well.. really, if you think about this, using DNS is merely saving a little work and eliminating the need for the HOSTS file management. However, DNS alone does not give the client the information needed to find the server. All DNS does is resolve the name to an IP address. With this, the Client would have to have the server name configured in the "Server" part of the client. See my previous note about configuring it this way. It's really not the most efficient way to do things.

-- everybody. The better way is to use SLP and/or DHCP. I'm suprised nobody mentioned it already (Where's provogeek when you need him). I say and/or because they can be used together or by themselves. There are some situations where you can't use one so you can use the other. With DHCP, if your Novell server is the DHCP server... you can actually pass out more information to the clients than just the IP address and gateway. You can send out the Tree Name, NDS Servers (and Ip addresses), SLP servers, Scope names, etc. The point is that these options can be centrally managed and picked up by the client each time they turn on their system. No configuration necessary on the workstations. If you look in the DHCP management console, you can find these options under "Other DHCP Options" when you have your subnet selected. The relevant options here are option 85, 86, and 87 which hand out the tree info. Also, options 78 and 79 are used to provide SLP info.

Some DHCP servers don't support the Novell extensions, but even so.. You can use SLP to help the clients find services on the network. Setting up SLP is a breeze on small networks where you can get away with using the default configuration. But in the case of SLP, the client sends a request out for services when it boots, and the SLP server (running on the Novell server) responds back with the necessary information to allow the clients to login to the tree correctly.

By using SLP or DHCP, you can eliminate a lot of the manual client configuration. I like to use both of them together because in a way it provides more options for the clients to locate the services they need.

-- About IPX.. The reason IPX works so well is because by design, services that are available on the network are broadcast to all nodes on a regular basis. Plus, when a client requests the "Nearest Server", The first server to get the packet will reply and provide the necessary information to login.

-- About IP and SLP.. The reason NetWare can't find things when using Pure IP, is because IP does not broadcast information about the avaliable services like IPX does.This reduces network traffic, and has nothing to do with Novell. It is something that Novell has had to deal with as more people have been moving to TCP/IP. That is why SLP came about. SLP is to TCP/IP just like RIPS & SAPS are to IPX. SLP hands out information about services when requested from the clients, and makes an IP only environment much easier to manage.

I apologize for the dissertation, but I had to set the record straight.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

well said

only bit i would add is if you are thinking of going to 6.X in future then dont set your slp scope up as unscoped as you will then need to modify it to scoped when you upgrade

it's not hard to set up anyway and there are lots of tids on it

good to see someone else leaves the server blank as well - the amount of arguments i've had over that point - suppose it easier to understand when you came from pre nds

Can someone explain DHCP a little more in detail.

DHCP is a standard TCP/IP function used to assign dynamic IP addresses to workstations. Pretty much every network vendor has an implementation of DHCP.

Pretty standard. If you have specific questions you should probably start a new thread.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks Marvin,

I will do some research and if I still have questions will start a new thread.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back