Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not find Public Folder or All Public Folder permission tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
US
As there isn't a permission tab under Public Folder properties in Outlook. I went in Exchange (5.5) Admin, Public Information Store properties trying to set permissions there. But there isn't a permission tab. According to Exchange help topic there should.
Right now everyone has the right to create subfolders under All Public Folder. I need to limit this right to a few people. Anybody can please help?

You should be able to set the permissions from Outlook. If you log on as admin, you can right click the folders and set the permissions from there.

You can do it for Exchange admin as well - make sure you are looking in the 'folders' branch of the admin program, not the server branch.

Note - If your not admin or equivalent, you probably can't do it.

If you do it from within exchange admin, make sure you have the option set to show the permissions tab. From within exchange admin go to tools, options, and then click the permissions tab. Make sure the checkbox to "show permissions page for all objects."

Appreciate replies from all of you.

What am I trying to do is to set permissions on All Public Folders in Outlook. I need to prevent users to create subfolders without system admin's permission.

Well, I did get permissions tab show on all objects. I went in Exchange Admin, Folders-->Public Folders, trying to set permissions there, but Properties button is greyed out. So I went in my site, under Servers-->Public Information Store, added Domain Admin group as Admin role (I'm in Domain Admin group). Log off myself from Outlook,even out of network and relog back on, when I open All Public Folders properties page, under Summary tab, all permissions are still greyed out, same as before. I tried logged on as system admin, but what I get from Summary tab in Outlook is still the same.

I don't know if what I'm doing make any sense, or if I am following you folks.

Would appreciate if I can get further help.

to do what you want you will need to go into the exchange administrator. cilck on the site configuration, "information store site configuration". click on the top level folder creation tab. add your list of users you want to create a public folders.

Thanks, scavngr!

It works! Although I don't quite understand that under Summary within All Public Folders properties "Create subfolders" box is still checked even users are not able to create one...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back