Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not create device, storage node enabler required 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancevo1956

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2008
RS
I have tried to reinstall my library. I have only one jukebox, one Networker Server and 10 storage nodes. I have deleted my jukebox library, then I rescan all devices ("Devices", then "Libraries", right click Properties, then "Scan for Devices" and when it finishes select "Configure All Libraies".

Finally, i have some some devices for storage nodes installed, \\.\Tape0 and \\.\Tape1. However for 3 out 10 I have been unable to install them properly. Instead it generates when I tried to reconfigure it with the message "Can not create device, storage node enabler required".

I believed that the problem might be that I have to delete already configured devices and I tried that with jbedit, but it could find that device.

The problem is most likely not the number of devices but how they are installed - locally at the server or remotely at a client. For those, you need a SN license.

I forgot to mention that you need a SN license for each client where a backup device is configured.

I do not have storage node licences, but I have enough licences for dedicated storage nodes. That is not the problem. Storage nodes are installed at the remote servers, and the whole idea is by that way it will improve performace and network utilization.

Sorry, then i do not really understand. Basically, what you want to do is to re-install the same remote devices. I do not assume a problem here.

The only limitation for a dedicated SN is that it can only backup data from the same client/machine. If you want to sent data of another client to one of the DSNs, then you will need a 'normal' SN license, of course.

Hi Pancevo1956,

I had this Issue last Friday and i was talking to my Sales Representative.
As i understand you want to configure Dedicated Storage Nodes. Correct? Then you have the same Issue that i had.
My Sales Guy told me that this is a NetWorker Bug with Licensing.
If you only have Licenses for "Dedicated Storage Nodes" then it´s not possible to Configure those drives. You need to insert a "Temp Enabler Codes" for "Storage Nodes". To get your Jukebox Configuration Finished. Afterwards you can delete those Enabler Codes. They are only needed for Jukebox Configuration.
Talk to your Sales Guys. The should already know this Problem.

Regards,

If you have tried it with jbedit do the following :
search the library descriptioon file in your /nsr/res/nsrdb structure. There are 10 subdirs named 00 to 09 with lots of files in it. The library description file is one of the biggest. Open it with a texteditor and search for the "drive element address" of the physical tape drives, e.g 2111 for the first and 2112 for the second.
exit the editor without changing anything !!!
You can use sjiisn to query the element address too.

Now create a remote device e.g. rd=myhost.mydomain.com:/dev/nst1 or
rd=myhost.mydomain.com:\\.\Tape0

Now you can run jbedit :

jbedit -a -f myhost.mydomain.com:\\.\Tape0 -E "drive Element address"

"As i understand you want to configure Dedicated Storage Nodes. Correct? Then you have the same Issue that i had.
My Sales Guy told me that this is a NetWorker Bug with Licensing.
If you only have Licenses for "Dedicated Storage Nodes" then it´s not possible to Configure those drives. You need to insert a "Temp Enabler Codes" for "Storage Nodes". To get your Jukebox Configuration Finished. Afterwards you can delete those Enabler Codes. They are only needed for Jukebox Configuration.
Talk to your Sales Guys. The should already know this Problem."
Yes, dedicated storage node is the case. Yes, Temp Enabler Code would solve the problem for ONLY ONE DEVICE. I have 4 devices to solve not only one. So, in fact I need 4 TEMP Enbaler Codes.

Questions is what is going to happened after the temp licence terminates.

"If you have tried it with jbedit do the following :
search the library descriptioon file in your /nsr/res/nsrdb structure. There are 10 subdirs named 00 to 09 with lots of files in it. The library description file is one of the biggest. Open it with a texteditor and search for the "drive element address" of the physical tape drives, e.g 2111 for the first and 2112 for the second.
exit the editor without changing anything !!!"

Networker 7.4 nsrdb does not have the file which is larger than 1 or 2 K, and by using search (text inside file) I could not find drive element address there.

"You can use sjiisn to query the element address too."

C:\>sjisn scsidev@4.4.1
Serial Number data for scsidev@4.4.1 (ADIC Scalar 24 ):
Library:
Serial Number: ADIC_1_C00027529
Drive at element address 256:
SCSI-3 Device Identifiers:
ATNN=IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 1210266406
Drive at element address 257:
SCSI-3 Device Identifiers:
ATNN=IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 1210266394

So for the \\.\Tape0/1 is 256/257
but what about rd=myhost.mydomain.local:\\.\Tape0?

Ok, That will work:
jbedit -a -f myhost.mydomain.com:\\.\Tape0 -E "drive Element address"

when I put without -E option, I created wrong devices with wrong media type and family, which I could not edit anymore (greyed out).

There is a sort of answer to my problem:

There is: How to remove Unconfigured Devices (Orange Wrenches)

ID: esg100197
SOLUTION
Symptoms

Unconfigured devices shown in Devices > Devices section of Management Console, or under Devices > Libraries.

'Orange Wrench' icons cannot be removed from GUI.

Cause

Unconfigured devices are those that NetWorker has discovered via the Consoles' "Scan for Devices" feature, but has not yet assigned to a library (or is a library that is not yet configured for use).

They cannot be removed as is, because they are not configured; thus they have no RAP database object, but are represented by entries as entries in both the NSR Storage Nodes and NSR Jukebox objects

Resolution

There are three ways to remove these devices:

1. Right-click and Configure the device, then delete it.

NOTE: This will fail if there is an existing device of the same name of the unconfigured device which is already configured.

2. Delete the Storage Node objects (Requires NetWorker shutdown):

a) Shut down NetWorker, and make a copy of the /nsr/res/nsrdb folder (in case of issues).

b) Enter the offline database by typing nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb (or the path to nsrdb folder).

c) From the nsradmin> prompt: delete type: nsr storage node (and answer y or yes for each prompt).

d) Restart NetWorker . All Storage Nodes which have configured devices will be automatically recreated.

WARNING: If any Storage Node is accessing NDMP devices, make note of its "Password" property prior to deletion.

3. Update the Unconfigured attributes (Does not require NetWorker shutdown):

a) Create a script containing the following lines:

. type: nsr storage node

update unconfig device names: ""
update unconfig device descriptions: ""
update unconfig device model types: ""
update unconfig device serial numbers: ""
update unconfig device WORM support: ""
update unconfig device library names: ""
update unconfig library names: ""
update unconfig library reference names: ""
update unconfig library descriptions: ""
update unconfig library control ports: ""
update unconfig library models: ""
update unconfig library serial numbers: ""

. type: nsr jukebox

update unconfigured devices: ""

update unconfigured drive ids: ""
update unconfigured drive addresses: ""

b) Run the script using nsradmin: nsradmin -i script_name.

I have tried 3 which does not work, but do the cosmetics only. Number 1 need I guess enabler code, which I used already. For solution number 2, I do not have courage.

I guess that the problem is that there might be a bug problem related to Networker 7.4.

Hi,

@Pancevo1956,

The Enabler Code is only for Configuring the Jukebox.. You can delete them immediately after Running Configure Jukebox. For Commandline there is also a possibillity but little bit more trickier.

Hope that helped.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back