Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not creat object error

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPSAG

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
I do not know much about ASP pages, but have been charged with the task of maintaining those in existance where I work. I have a program that will not allow anyone to log into it displaying an error that says:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'

ActiveX component can't create object

/programname/default.asp, line 33

This problem has occurred twice before, both times it corrected itself. Given the same amount of time, it has not corrected this time.I tried creating the object myself, but the program still wants to create it. I don't understand why it can't.

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Mooo... :)

Can you post the part of code that creates an object?

It should be something like Server.CreateObject("BLAH_BLAH")

Maybe the dll you are referring to is not properly registered...

Is it a built-in object you are trying to create or a custom component your company uses? <Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

The code is, just as you said...
Set objUtility = Server.CreateObject(&quot;Program.WebUtility&quot;)

How would I know if the dll is properly registered?

The object is an Access97 database

I'm really lost, and I don't like being lost. But I have not been taught ASP logic. Mooo... :)

Hmm...

Never heard of an object that would be produced by Server.CreateObject(&quot;Program.WebUtility&quot;)... Google search doesn't produce anything as well.

So chances are it is an internally developed COM component that your company is using...

If I am right, then I have no idea how to check if DLL is registered, but I think that's the problem - either it is not registered or deleted...

If you find out which DLL is used (from documentation, etc), then you can copy the DLL file into Windows\System32 folder and run the following command from command prompt to register DLL:

regsvr32 <DLL_NAME>

So try to find out what is the DLL you guys are using...

Dmitriy [sadeyes] <Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

I sure appreciate your help, it didn't work though.

I found the dll file (it has the programs name - that means we developed it, right?), copied and registered it, but I still get the same error when trying to log into the program.

I think my next step is a trip to the library for a couple of good ASP books. Mooo... :)

I wasn't patient enough. It works now. So I have two questions for you:
When this corrected itself in the past, did it somehow find and register that dll on it's own? and
How did it lose the dll registration in the first place?
Mooo... :)

I don't know what happend in the past...

Strange things happen with these computers sometimes :)

No, it can't register itself, so maybe this was related to a problem inside a COM component (like a memory leak, or if after a certain number of times it is created it stops working), but that's just a very-very wild guess... Next time just try to restart IIS (or computer, if possible) and see if that's going to solve this problem should it happen again (now that you are sure the DLL is in place and registered)

Welcome to what is referred to as DLL Hell :) <Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

Oh yea! A new kind of hell. Technology moves on, I guess I have to too.
Thanks for your help Dmitriy. My boss and I are forever grateful. :) Mooo... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back