Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can not boot cisco 3660 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thusitha

ISP
Apr 8, 2003
LK
I have a Cisco 3660 router
I installed it IOS version c3660-i-mz.121-5.T5.bin
I changed register 0x2102
and "boot system flash c3660-i-mz.121-5.T5.bin"
But it's changing 0x3922 and 0x1820
What is problem
Thanks
Dhammika ( Technical User)
dhammika_t@ionlanka.com

Don't understand.
What do you mean by 'changing 0x3922 and 0x1820'?
Can you post the console output?

EB

Dhammika,

Do you mean the config register is changing to 0x3922 / 0x1820??? If you have special console configurations in the running config and you save them like console speed settings that will cause your config register to change at boot. Try setting your config register to 0x2142 for password recovery that way your router boots without lookin at the startup-confguration file in nvram. Once booted you can go to enable mode and copy start to run and look at your console configurations.

I have a Cisco 3660 router
I installed it IOS version c3660-i-mz.121-5.T5.bin
I changed register 0x2102
and set the "boot system flash c3660-i-mz.121-5.T5.bin"
Before reboot i hit "show version " command
But configuration register is 0x3922
Again I changed register 0x2102
After I reboot the router
but it went to romon mode
What is the problem this?
I want to configure it to runs properly.
Thanks
Thusitha (ISP)

From ROMMON can you check the file size of the new image, you may have a corrupt file. Compare the file size with the values posted on the CCO software download page.

I have had a couple of duff transfers from the CCO, results in all sorts of problems.

Can you save the console output to a text file when the router boots, may tell you the problem.

0x3922 means:

3 --> 0 0 <B>1</b> 1 = boot from TFTP first, then ROM 2 is normal, but 3 three will work

9 --> 1 0 0 <b>1</b> = sets your console speed to 1200 bits per sec and enables the break key

<i>NOTE 0 0 1 <b>1-----1</b> 0 0 1 so far, that 1 1 combo changes the console speed to 1200bps</i>

2 --> 0 0 1 0 = should not be enabled at all, it is a reserved bit

2 --> 0 0 1 0 = load IOS from flash

i don't think this is a config-reg problem is much as a memory related problem because theoretically your router should be able to boot normally with 3922, except for the first 2 (39<b>2</b>2). are you sure you have enough RAM memory to run that IOS, do you get exception errors when the Bootloader tries to load the IOS and then drops to Rommon mode.

first off, are you saving the configuration after doing this:
in rommon mode type: o/r 0x2142, then hit 'i'
after the router boots, cancel out the menu setup

copy the startup-config to the running-config
then edit the config-reg, ' config-reg 0x2102'
type write memory or cop run start
and reload

Get COnnected - I.T.

and if your config-reg is set to 1XXX and no IOS is found, that router will just hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back