Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not add more RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave151

Technical User
Apr 29, 2005
GB
Has anyone got any idea's?

PC currently has 256 RAM and I'm trying to add another 256 ram.
Both indiviual sticks of RAM work on their own when inserted into my first RAM slot on my mb and my PC boots using the single 256 stick of RAM.
When I add the second stick my PC just makes long continuos beeps and doesn't load into Windows.

It seems when I try to use the 2nd or 3rd slots on my motherboard it does not except the RAM. Do I have to activate the use of this slot somewhere? It can't be the RAM cos both stick work in the first slot and both sticks are the same type

Motherboard: ABIT NF7
RAM: 2 x 256mb DDR PC2700 (IBM) or 2 x 256MB DDR PC2100 266MHz 184pin

RAM: 2 x 256mb DDR PC2700 (IBM) or 2 x 256MB DDR PC2100 266MHz 184pin"

Is that what you have, or what the motherboard has listed to accept?

This is the RAM I have that I'm trying to install. I assume this type of RAM is ok cos it will accept on stick and work fine with 256mb. It just doesn't like the second stick when I install it. As mentioned, it can't be the second stick I've I also used this on it's own with no problems.

Thanks for your help

It is very common for RAM to work independently but not when mixed. Typically, this is due to latency timing issues that widely vary from stick to stick, which may not be compatible with one another.

First of all, you need to determine what the CPU's FSB is set at. If it needs to have 333MHz, then the PC2100 is no good as it will force the memory to fall out of synch at 266MHz.

Also, some generic or "house" brands usually have a harder time running in mixed environments.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Check the manual for slot issues. Sometimes you need for two sticks to use slots #1 and #3, not #1 and #2.

If you can mic try loading the beterRAM into slot #2 or #3 then try the older RAM in the two slots not used. If this wont work put the better RAM in and take a look in your CMOS and BIOS setting as there may be an "Enable dual memory support" option or something in that lines of that. Look on the motherboard's website for readme files. most older systemboards don't support two kinds of RAM even alot of newer mother boards don't

Try loading both RAM cards in and seeing if you can boot to CMOS/BIOS if you can't you may have to go with only one kind of RAM. With some mobos you can use RAM type A, B, C, & D together but if you use E it will not work with any of them or only with say B if B is only in slot #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back