Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not access Linux from Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljrjlr

Programmer
Apr 20, 2005
US
I can not access my linux box from my windows 98se box. I want to use the Linux box as a server but can't seem to get it going. There was another thread like this but after trying it all I still can not see my Knoppix box from 98.
Here is my config file.
global]
workgroup = (WORKGROUP)
browseable = yes
force user = root
force create mode = 777
server string = Linuxserver
guest account = pcguest
hosts allow = 999.999.9 127.
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
security = share
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
local master = no
domain master = no
preferred master = no
interfaces = 999.999.9.999/24

[publicshare]
comment = share
path = /home/myfiles
read only = no
guest ok = yes

I do not see the other linix box but I do see my workgroup
I have cahged the IP and the workgroup

Would this not be your problem?
x.x.x. (.) at the end...

hosts allow = 999.999.9 127.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

I removed the "." that had no effect but thanks for the help. I still need any suggestions that can be given. I will expand on my setup maybe it is something other than the Samba config. I have a syslink wireless G router but It is at this time only as a wired router. If I look at my router it sees my Knoppix box, my windows box and my Packet8 phone. I run TESTPARM and it returns that I have a stand alone server and everything is ok. I wonder if it could be the way my windows 98 box is set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back