Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not access domain form one server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippmann

MIS
Jul 2, 2002
US
Hi I have a little weird problem here. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great. Thanks in advanced.

I Have three servers running Win2k with SP4 and two of them are running DNS intergrated with exchange. One DNS server is the Exchange server and the other we'll call server "B"

Everything seems to be working fine until I go to server B -open "My Network Places" - click on "Entire Network" select "entire contents" - select the domain and get an error "Domain is not accessible"

Server B is a file sever and everyone access it fine, but the server can not see the network computers? All is well if I search for the computer/servers by IP or DNS name.

One more thing - If you restart the email server, Server B can not access the domain with any errors, until the mail server boots??

Any Ideas would be great...
Thanks again Dan

I assume ping works, since you dont have problems accessing the server. are you sure its logged to the domain??? is it DC? what is server B actually? Member server?
try checking its DNS configuration!

Oded Shafran,
Network Administrator

DNS looks to be running fine?

Server B is a DC - running its own dns. I origanally was only running DNS from the email server, and loaded DNS on server B to see if that would help anything.

is Server B Dns the only DNS in the domain? is it AD Integrated? is it Primary Zone?
can you please do me a favour and ping from it to domainname.com? and see if you get replies?

Oded Shafran,
Network Administrator

The email server and Server B both have DNS integrated with AD. Primary Zone (authoritive) is held by our ISP, because we are a k12 education institution (state funded)

When I ping domain.com It gives me the email servers ip inside the firewall and ISP outside the firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back