Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can NIC settings be changed for different hardware profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmsahil

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
Our notebooks have a single NIC built into them and are configured to 100/full to match our internal networks. More of the users now have broadband connections at home and may need to connect at some other speed and duplex when at home.

Ideally, we would like to set up two profiles, work and home, which would have different NIC settings.

I have attempted to build the hardware profiles and have found that the NIC settings in each profile are the same and match the last NIC configuration change I made in either profile.

Short of buying a second NIC is there anyway to do what I would like to do?

You could try a batch file using netsh

You can make a new connection under network and dial up connections and set the settings as you would need them to connect at home.

There are several ways to bell this cat. Hardware profiles, however, as you discovered is not one of them.

1. Do it with software. is one excellent way, and it restores printer and other assignments as well.

2. The lazy man's way: add a PCMCIA card with a 10/100 adapter. An SMC card was going for $5.95 at a local national computer chain this week. Because it is a seperate device from the in-built port it can have a seperate profile completely. So at home they plug in the PCMCIA board and away they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back